How to get available encodings currently supported by WinRT? RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing an FTP client which support multiple encodings.

Currently I see that Encoding.GetEncodings() method is not available on WinRT. So is there any way to retrieve all supported encoding names on current device? I want to bind this to an encoding picker combobox.

I saw an encoding list from Encoding Class MSDN. Are they all supported by any WinRT device using any Windows 8 system and sold to any market all over the world?

Thanks.

Friday, August 9, 2013 1:22 PM

All replies

• System.Text.Encoding is available to Store apps:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/system.text.encoding(v=vs.120).aspx

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, August 9, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Hi, Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I know the class you are pointing to which I mentioned in my question before.

I want to know how many encodings are supported by WinRT devices? Is there an API to retrieve a list of supported encodings? 

From my testing on my Surface Pro that every encoding marked in Encoding Class MSDN is supported. But I am not sure if it is valid on every winRT device from any country?

Sunday, August 11, 2013 2:49 AM