none
Open a resource file in the resource viewer causes VS2015 to crash

Question

• As the title says, in one of our branches trying to open a specific resource file(.rc) in the resource viewer cases VS2015 to hang and the only solution is to end the whole process.

The project with the resource file compiles and runs, so this is a bit of a weird problem to have.

Has anyone experienced this issue or can give me some suggestions to what the reason could be. We have been looking through the .rc file in question to see if there are any errors in it. But then it wouldn't compile/run. Also this should definatly not crash VS.

I guess we have encountered some kind of obscure bug.

The project the .rc file belongs to is a c++ MFC application.

Any suggestion? or should I submit a bug report?

• Edited by joakia Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:44 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 12:24 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the answer, so I solved the problem by doing a new merge from when both master and the branch with the crash on worked, and now everything works as expected with no crash.

If I go back to the old .rc file again it crashes again.

Here is the file in question:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbzhbamgec2m0jg/causes_crash.rc?dl=0
    I have not had the oportunity to check if it crashes in a frech solution/project. so it might only crash in conjunction with the rest of our solution.

Monday, February 01, 2016 10:27 AM

All replies

• Hi joakia,

Thanks for your post.

I just did a test in my side using VS2015. And After I created a new source file into my MFC application.

When I open the source file in resource view. I can open the file successfully.

So I suggest you could create a new source file to check whether the VS  will crashed.

1. If the you can view the source file successfully for a new created source file.

I think the problem is probably in your specified source file. I suggest you could make a backup of this specified source file. Then delete every file belong to this source file to check which one cause the VS  crashed.

2. If open any source file in resource view. The VS crashed. In this case, I suppose there is something wrong with your Visual Studio. I suggest you could repair your VS or install the VS2015 Update1 then try it again.

In addition. if the problem only occurred for the specified file. I wonder if you could share the file to us so that we could reproduce it in our sides.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, January 29, 2016 5:26 AM
  • Thanks for the answer, so I solved the problem by doing a new merge from when both master and the branch with the crash on worked, and now everything works as expected with no crash.

If I go back to the old .rc file again it crashes again.

Here is the file in question:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbzhbamgec2m0jg/causes_crash.rc?dl=0
    I have not had the oportunity to check if it crashes in a frech solution/project. so it might only crash in conjunction with the rest of our solution.

Monday, February 01, 2016 10:27 AM