none
Recommended error codes for MS-OXDSCLI RRS feed

• Question

•  Hello,

We have a small implementation of MS-OXDSCLI, written to provide a redirect bridging campus SMTP space and subdomains on different forests and Exchange installs.  Due to an ongoing Premier case regarding Office 365 and Outlook 2013, we are reexamining the error codes we hand back.

We would like guidance on the codes currently in use vs our proposed changes.  Are these the correct codes to use in these conditions?

Condition

In use

Proposed

Query isn’t XML.

Query XML doesn’t validate.

User payload is ExchangeDN (we can’t resolve it).

601 (or 404?)

User payload doesn’t pass isValidEmail per http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/01escwtf.aspx

Email address is not at this domain.

No Exchange configuration for this email address.

Thank you,

Andrew

Andrew Laurence

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrew, since that scenario isn't covered by the specification it's difficult to say what you should do. I think using an error that is “close enough” might be your best bet. Looking at the different error codes and messages that Exchange returns, I think the one that makes the most sense would be 603 with a custom message stating something along the lines of "LegacyDN not supported."

Please let me know if that helps.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Friday, August 29, 2014 9:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your question.  A colleague will be in contact soon to investigate this issue.

Regards,

Mark Miller | Microsoft Open Specifications Team

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 1:09 AM
  • Hello Andrew, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open Specifications

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:29 PM
  • Thank you, Sreekanth.  I look forward to your findings.

Andrew Laurence

Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:04 AM
  • Hi Sreekanth,

Just checking, have you found any answers?

-Andrew

Andrew Laurence

Friday, August 15, 2014 1:02 AM
  • Hello Andrew,

Your proposed codes seem correct for the most part. We are verifying them against our implementation. We will post the final response as soon as possible.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications

Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:57 PM
  • Hi Andrew, I have taken over this issue and you are correct about returning the following error codes in the given scenarios.

Error

Description

Query isn’t XML.

Query XML doesn’t validate.

Email address is not at this domain.

No Exchange configuration for this email address.

Per the documentation, error 601 is returned when "The Autodiscover server was unable to provide configuration information of the requested type." I've looked further into that error and it means that the AcceptableResponseSchema element is either incorrect or was not provided.

I am still looking into what error type should be returned if the e-mail address isn't formatted correctly.

Also, can you provide more information about what you mean by "User payload is ExchangeDN (we can’t resolve it)."

Thank you.

Friday, August 22, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Hi Andrew, if the format of the EMailAddress fails validation per RFC821 error code 500 should be returned to the client.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:43 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Regarding "User payload is LegacyDN (we can’t resolve it)", our application exists outside Exchange, at a junction between the company.com SMTP space, and various forest/Exchange installations at subdomain1.company.com.  Due to this architecture, the application only deals with SMTP addresses. 

We cannot resolve a query's LegacyDN payload to the correct SMTP address.  For this reason, we need to return an appropriate error code for LegacyDN payloads.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Laurence

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:01 PM
  • Hi Andrew, since that scenario isn't covered by the specification it's difficult to say what you should do. I think using an error that is “close enough” might be your best bet. Looking at the different error codes and messages that Exchange returns, I think the one that makes the most sense would be 603 with a custom message stating something along the lines of "LegacyDN not supported."

Please let me know if that helps.

Friday, August 29, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Thank you Josh.  This has been very helpful. :)

-Andrew

Andrew Laurence

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 9:21 PM