Standalone SDK Manager and AVD Manager are deprecated since Android Studio 2.3 RRS feed

• Question

• User132605 posted

For some other job I also had to install Android Studio on my development machine where I have Xamarin in Visual Studio running. Today Android Studio had an update which included Android Studio 2.3. It seems that from this version the standalone tools SDK Manager and AVD Manager are deprecated and this functionality can only be accessed from Android Studio.

Obviously the toolbar buttons in Visual Studio (and I recon Xamarin Studio as well) are no longer working. Was this known to you guys at Xamarin? Is there already an update in the making that has its own SDK and AVD manager in Visual Studio?

Thanks,

Yoni

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:39 PM

Answers

• User12817 posted

Hi Yoni,

Inside your Android SDK location, there should still be an AVD Manager.exe and a SDK Manager.exe which you can use to manage your Virtual Devices and SDK with.

As for built in managers, there are quite some developments in this area, so stay tuned!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 2:41 PM

All replies

• User12817 posted

Hi Yoni,

Inside your Android SDK location, there should still be an AVD Manager.exe and a SDK Manager.exe which you can use to manage your Virtual Devices and SDK with.

As for built in managers, there are quite some developments in this area, so stay tuned!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 2:41 PM
  • User132605 posted

Hi, they are still there, but after the update they only show a command window for a second and then nothing. I will stay tuned :)

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:05 PM
  • User12817 posted

@"Yoni.C" In the case that you updated your Android SDK Tools to 25.2.3 and greater, you have to use the command line:

https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/sdkmanager.html

There's also an avdmanager equivalent it looks like.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:11 PM
  • User132605 posted

Yes, thats all totally clear to me. I was just wondering if Xamarin was working on alternate tools for the upcoming releases for this problem, assuming that this is going to be a problem for the complete Xamarin Android community. But you sort of already answered that for me, so thanks!

Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:00 AM
  • User315050 posted

digital marketing is very important for a successful company.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:32 AM
  • User259448 posted

@JonDouglas in my system AVD Manager.exe and a SDK Manager.exe are also not working

Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:37 AM
  • User12817 posted

@NavneetGarg

We have a new guide regarding the SDK Manager which you can download today:

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/application_fundamentals/using-the-sdk-manager/

As for using the AVD Manager, you will need to follow the command line method until we have completed ours.

https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/avdmanager.html

Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:39 PM