none
OK to run more than one version of Net Framework? RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed Windows8.1 - can't run Printmaster that ran on version 8 - message says that Net FrameworkV1.1. is missing.  Can I install Framework 1.1. (can't find V.1.1) even though I'm sure I have more recent versions installed?  I read somewhere that should only have one version on a computer.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

.NET Framework 1.1 is too old. And From Microsoft Support Lifecycle, its supported end date is 10/8/2013. In fact, you can install more than one version of .NET Framework as long as they don't have compatibility issues with your OS. From the Microsoft official website, we see the .NET Framework 1.1 is not supported on the Windows 8.1. It is not possible to manually install the .NET Framework 1.1 on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, or Windows Server 2012 R2. It is no longer supported. To solve this problem, install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. This version includes the .NET Framework 2.0 (the release that follows the .NET Framework 1.1), which is supported on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. You should always try to install the application first to determine if it will automatically be updated to a later version of the .NET Framework. If it does not, contact your ISV for an application update. More information, please read this document:

Running .NET Framework 1.1 Apps on Windows 8 or 8.1

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh925570(v=vs.110).aspx

Another, I find someone solved .NET Framework 1.1 & Windows 8.1 Conflict. I'm not sure if it can work for you. You can have a try if you like.   

.NET Framework 1.1 & Windows 8.1 Conflict 

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/33787-net-framework-1-1-windows-8-1-conflict.html

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by pvdg42 Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Anna Cc Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:42 PM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

.NET Framework 1.1 is too old. And From Microsoft Support Lifecycle, its supported end date is 10/8/2013. In fact, you can install more than one version of .NET Framework as long as they don't have compatibility issues with your OS. From the Microsoft official website, we see the .NET Framework 1.1 is not supported on the Windows 8.1. It is not possible to manually install the .NET Framework 1.1 on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, or Windows Server 2012 R2. It is no longer supported. To solve this problem, install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. This version includes the .NET Framework 2.0 (the release that follows the .NET Framework 1.1), which is supported on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. You should always try to install the application first to determine if it will automatically be updated to a later version of the .NET Framework. If it does not, contact your ISV for an application update. More information, please read this document:

Running .NET Framework 1.1 Apps on Windows 8 or 8.1

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh925570(v=vs.110).aspx

Another, I find someone solved .NET Framework 1.1 & Windows 8.1 Conflict. I'm not sure if it can work for you. You can have a try if you like.   

.NET Framework 1.1 & Windows 8.1 Conflict 

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/33787-net-framework-1-1-windows-8-1-conflict.html

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by pvdg42 Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Anna Cc Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:42 PM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:17 AM
  • First, I endorse Anna's very helpful answer. Please check the links she provided.

Second, I'm curious about the version of Printmaster you are using. I have what I consider to be a pretty ancient version, Printmaster 15, and just installed it on my Windows 8.1 system with no issues.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:46 PM