June 2015 CU for SharePoint 2013 installation failed RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint 2013 environment with a dedicated SQL server and two SharePoint servers, one application and one web-fornt-end server. The SharePoint farm has service pack installed, and the build number is: 15.0.4569.1000.

When i tried to install June 2015 CU, it failed after file extraction. Is it true that I also need to download the two .cab files from KB 3054866 and put them together under the same folder as the executable file?

I did some search and found an reported issue for April 2015 CU. It is due to the different version of SP1. My SharePoint was built using the RTM version and then applied with SP1. But this issue is fixed in May 2015 CU. I assume June 2015 CU should have no such an issue. Am I correct?

While troubleshooting, I also found out that both SharePoint servers had March 2015 CU installed. So I had to run configuration wizard to apply March 2015 CU to the farm before installing June 2015 CU. This is my client's environment. The IT team claims that they didn't install any SharePoint update except Windows updates back in April this year. Is it possible that SharePoint 2013 CU is included in the Windows updates? I thought Windows updates will only include some small security update for SharePoint, but not CU.

Monday, August 10, 2015 11:06 PM

Answers

• You do need the two cab files in the same folder as the exe. You should also validate the size of each file from the download page. This CU is not deployed through WU.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by MrTechNet Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:17 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2015 11:09 PM
  • Hi,

Starting with February 2015 CU SharePoint Product Updates including non-security product updates will be made available via Windows Update.

So March 2015 CU will be available in Windows Update if Windows Update is enabled.

Please check the link below for more details:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2015/02/12/sharepoint-cus-and-windows-update.aspx

Thanks,

Victoria

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:07 AM
  • Victoria, after the March 2015 CU, that was reversed.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2015/03/02/sharepoint-cus-and-windows-update-important-update.aspx

Cumulative Updates are now (again) only published via the MSFT Download Center.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by MrTechNet Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:18 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:09 AM

All replies

• You do need the two cab files in the same folder as the exe. You should also validate the size of each file from the download page. This CU is not deployed through WU.

Trevor Seward

Monday, August 10, 2015 11:09 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

The requirement was not mentioned anywhere in the KB. I searched and found somewhere else saying that the .cab are for search improvement and are required present during the installation. I just want to a confirmation here. Thanks for the confirmation.

When you said "This CU is not deployed through WU", you meant March 2015 CU? Just want to confirm. And in general, does Microsoft push out SharePoint CU through WU at all?

• Unmarked as answer by MrTechNet Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:18 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:14 AM
  • Hi,

Starting with February 2015 CU SharePoint Product Updates including non-security product updates will be made available via Windows Update.

So March 2015 CU will be available in Windows Update if Windows Update is enabled.

Please check the link below for more details:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2015/02/12/sharepoint-cus-and-windows-update.aspx

Thanks,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:07 AM
  • Victoria, after the March 2015 CU, that was reversed.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2015/03/02/sharepoint-cus-and-windows-update-important-update.aspx

Cumulative Updates are now (again) only published via the MSFT Download Center.

Trevor Seward

• Marked as answer by MrTechNet Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:18 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:09 AM
  • Hi Trveor,

Yes, you are right.

Sorry for missing the important part.

Thanks,

Victoria

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:16 AM