Help with problems with links?? RRS feed

• Question

• I have created my first site with the help of Expression Web. I have it published and on the web at this time.

The company I work for is an IT company, so we have many different manuals that we need to have accessible to our customers. I have links to many, many manuals in my website. However, they are not working for some reason to the outside world. When I am at my computer in my office (on the network) I can go to my site and bring them up with no problems at all. However, my customers cannot do the same. I went to my house and tried, and I cannot get them to come up.

I am unsure as to why this is. I have all the manuals saved as PDF's on my office network. I then brought all those files into the files of my website. All my links for the manuals are linked to the PDF's I have stored in the files of my website. Once I had about 10 customers tell me they could not access them, I started trying to troubleshoot. I removed all the links in my site, and saved. then re-created the links, didn't help. I then deleted all the PDF's out of my site and brought them in again. Didn't help. I know there is nothing wrong with the PDF files, as they have been on our old website for years and I used the same ones for the new site. I need to figure out why they will not open for anyone outside my office.

Can anyone help me with this, please?

My site is www.phonz.com

The manuals are under I-Care.

Thank you in advance for assistance you can offer!!!

~Savannah

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:37 PM

Answers

• The links are wrong. Eg:

file://Bigserver/network%20drive/Web%20Sites/Newphonz/I%20Care/Manuals/Partner%20Manuals.htm  

is not a link to your website.  It's pointing to the actual file name, which folks inside your company apparently have permission to access.  The general public certainly would not.

That link, for example, should just be:

Partner%20Manuals.htm

One cause for getting file references rather than relative links can be editing single pages rather than first opening the web.  You did something different on these pages, since you have correct links in other areas of the site.

An aside: I'll point out that it's bad practice to have spaces in folders or filenames for the web.  (That's what's giving you all those "%20".)  This can cause problems.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:48 PM

All replies

• The links are wrong. Eg:

file://Bigserver/network%20drive/Web%20Sites/Newphonz/I%20Care/Manuals/Partner%20Manuals.htm  

is not a link to your website.  It's pointing to the actual file name, which folks inside your company apparently have permission to access.  The general public certainly would not.

That link, for example, should just be:

Partner%20Manuals.htm

One cause for getting file references rather than relative links can be editing single pages rather than first opening the web.  You did something different on these pages, since you have correct links in other areas of the site.

An aside: I'll point out that it's bad practice to have spaces in folders or filenames for the web.  (That's what's giving you all those "%20".)  This can cause problems.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:48 PM
  • I am unsure how to get the links to not say "Bigserver...." I have tried multiple things. Even some of my links on the sidebar on all pages are saying it, but not all. How do I create a link to the PDF that is located on my server, without having the location listed as being on my server? I have tried everything I can think of to no avail... PLEASE HELP!!
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:59 PM
  • Hmm... March 31st........... May 25th. Nothing like maintaining conversational continuity...

Your PDFs must be in a folder whose location can be resolved at render time. The local file system, or server, is fine for internal, Intranet use. However, to the external world, those locations are not accessible (or shouldn't be). You need to place files within your public-facing Web site, or use server-side markup and probably a DB lookup table to fetch them from their external-to-the-Web locations at render time. If they are stored completely outside/above your site root, EW will be unable to resolve the references satisfactorily, as will a browser.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:10 PM
  • ???  Tried what?  Just edit the name, as I said.

If you were working inside a local website when you added the files, they would be linked correctly automatically, but I have no idea how you are actually working.  Regardless: just edit the links to be correct. And make sure the manuals are on the server along with the pages.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:17 PM