none
Resource Management question RRS feed

• Question

• Just a question regarding the resource management capabilities of MS Project, my company does not currently use Project, but is looking into the purchase. 

Does it have the capability to show the overall allocation of any particular resource?

For example, if our designers can work 230 days a year, and if we allocate them to X amount of days worth of work during individual projects. Can I generate a chart showing ALL projects, with it including the resources (designers etc) time spent in total? 

To see if there's overlap? Or simply not enough days in the year to complete all projects based on resources allocated? (I am aware, there will never be enough days in the year.)

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:21 PM

All replies

• RIchardP9,

First, to answer your questions, yes and yes.

For your scenario, multiple resources working multiple projects, you might create a resource pool file. It is simply a blank project file with all your resources listed and their respective "unit" capability (e.g. 1 unit is full time, .5 unit is half time, etc.), cost rates (e.g. $/hr) and working time availability via their own custom work calendar, if different from the project calendar.

You can create separate project files (sharer files) for each project and then link in resources from the pool. Or, if your projects aren't that large, you might consider putting them all in a single file along with the resource data and not have a resource pool at all. Linked structures in Project are unfortunately subject to corruption if not administered properly.

Regardless of whether you use a pool/sharer structure or a single project file, you can show resource allocations in multiple ways. You can also see if any resources are overallocated (i.e. assigned to work more hours than they have available in a given period, or "double-booked", or assigned to work outside their designated working time, etc.). The latest version of Project has expanded graphing capabilities for displaying resource data but if it still doesn't give you quite the report or graph you want, Project also has the functionality to export data via its Visual Reports feature (creates pivot tables in Excel), or if you need even more functionality, you can customize reports and format using Project's built-in Visual Basic for Applications (VBA).

If your company is a large enterprise, you might want to consider Project Online or Project Server which are designed for an enterprise environment. But if your needs are more modest, a stand-alone version of Project might be all you need.

I suggest you download a trial version of Project or Project Online and run it through some paces to see if it meets your needs. We will be happy to help with any questions you have.

I'm hoping others will weigh in with their thoughts.

John

• Edited by John - Project Wednesday, December 14, 2016 5:32 PM others
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 5:31 PM
  • Thanks for the response John, 

Seem's like it will be fit for purpose for what we're trying to accomplish, I don't think the Project online or Project Server will be of much use, as we're only a small company.

As for downloading a trial, i've attempted to do so this morning, however it's telling me that it will have to remove my office 2013 applications before it can go ahead, from what i've read it's an issue that they are trying to fix, however removing my excel/word/PP programs is going to cause a nightmare!

Do you know of a location I could acquire a 2013 trial? So it does not come out of sync with the Office programs I currently have installed? 

Thanks again.

Richard.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 9:32 AM
  • Richard,

I've checked a few links but they all go to Project 2016. Let me ask around and get a good link for you.

John

Thursday, December 15, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Richard,

I'm sorry to report that it appears a trial version of Project 2013 is simply not available, at least not through Microsoft. The best suggestion I can offer is to look on eBay for either Project 2013 or even Project 2010, as the latter will work fine with your Office 2013 and allow you to try it out. Project 2010 has the same file format. You could even find older versions (e.g. Project 2007 or earlier) at a very reasonable cost and they will have all the basic features you will need.

Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer but if you have specific questions with examples, I can field those question and show you some screen shots.

John

Friday, December 16, 2016 3:56 PM