none
Word 2007 having issues adding adding values to combo list box. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a simple Word doc that when the user presses the button it takes the information in the boxes and tosses it into a template style paragraph.

But my issue is that I have two combo list boxes as seen in the picture. I want to have two values in the drop down list as seen in the labels next to them but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do this in Word 2007.

In Visual Studio this is much easier but I am work and need to snap this out for the folks at work.

Is there an option that I can choose in the properties where I type in the values for each drop down or do I have to add them in at run time?

http://i55.tinypic.com/fup53t.jpg 

Thanks

• Moved by Mike Feng Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:50 AM Word (From:Visual Basic General)
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:17 PM

Answers

• Hi SimpleOnline,

You can use DropDownListContentControl, for more details, please take a look at this article on MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.office.tools.word.dropdownlistcontentcontrol(VS.90).aspx

which contains the code about adding items to combobox list.

private Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word.DropDownListContentControl dropDownListControl1;

private void AddDropDownListControlAtSelection()
    {
      this.Paragraphs[1].Range.InsertParagraphBefore();
      this.Paragraphs[1].Range.Select();

dropDownListControl1 = this.Controls.AddDropDownListContentControl("dropDownListControl1");
      dropDownListControl1.DropDownListEntries.Add("Monday", "Monday", 0);
      dropDownListControl1.DropDownListEntries.Add("Tuesday", "Tuesday", 1);
      dropDownListControl1.DropDownListEntries.Add("Wednesday", "Wednesday", 2);
      dropDownListControl1.PlaceholderText = "Choose a day";
    }

Hope this can give you the hint.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:20 PM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:39 PM

All replies

•  Hi SimpleOnline,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

Is there an option that I can choose in the properties where I type in the values for each drop down or do I have to add them in at run time?

The subItems of a combobox control is always added at runtime.

I want to have two values in the drop down list as seen in the labels next to them but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do this in Word 2007.

About this, you can ask in Word for developer forum. There are more experts in this aspect.

Best regards,

Mike Feng [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Hi SimpleOnline,

You can use DropDownListContentControl, for more details, please take a look at this article on MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.office.tools.word.dropdownlistcontentcontrol(VS.90).aspx

which contains the code about adding items to combobox list.

private Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word.DropDownListContentControl dropDownListControl1;

private void AddDropDownListControlAtSelection()
    {
      this.Paragraphs[1].Range.InsertParagraphBefore();
      this.Paragraphs[1].Range.Select();

dropDownListControl1 = this.Controls.AddDropDownListContentControl("dropDownListControl1");
      dropDownListControl1.DropDownListEntries.Add("Monday", "Monday", 0);
      dropDownListControl1.DropDownListEntries.Add("Tuesday", "Tuesday", 1);
      dropDownListControl1.DropDownListEntries.Add("Wednesday", "Wednesday", 2);
      dropDownListControl1.PlaceholderText = "Choose a day";
    }

Hope this can give you the hint.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:20 PM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Hi simpleonline1234

Is the picture you show on a document surface, or in a UserForm?

If on the document surface, which controls (menu commands) did you use to create the dropdowns?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Hi SimpleOnline,

What is the status of the problem on your side? If you still show any concern on your problem, just feel free to follow up.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:30 PM