ASP.NET 2.0 Mobile Phone - Background color and image issue RRS feed

• Question

• User1408737841 posted

Hi everyone, ive recently started using the mobile phone addons for Visual web developer express edition 2005. I cant seem to get the background colours to work. I have created a HTML page which displayed correctly, but obviously i want to use ASP.NET 2.0. An image also didnt load (PNG Format) whilst using ASP.Net.

Does anyone know a way around this or knows whats wrong?

Thanks Loads, Dan 2e

Monday, January 8, 2007 3:23 PM

All replies

• User1307252949 posted

Firstly, regarding the background colour - I posted this reply recently to a similar question: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1531598.aspx

Secondly, the PNG image: PNGs should be ok for displaying as I believe the J2ME standard for mobile phones dictates that this is the image format that all phones should accept (JPEG has very wide support even though it's not in the J2ME standard). However, mobile/cell providers do tend to mess around with your pages at the WAP gateway, which is the jumping-off point for your packets to leave the IP/TCP infrastructure and enter the WAP domain. [WAP is effectively just the wireless version of TCP & IP.] It may be the case that your provider is preventing either this image type, images above a certain filesize, or all images from being sent to the device.

If possible, borrow someone else's mobile device which is on a different network and give it a go from there.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 2:58 PM
  • User-525215917 posted
    What device do you have (manufacturer, model)?
    Wednesday, January 17, 2007 3:21 PM
  • User1408737841 posted

Hi DigiMortal, sorry ive taken a while to get back to you, Im testing my site on a Sony Ericsson W810i.not the best device i know lol

Any ideas?

Dan

Saturday, January 20, 2007 1:54 PM
  • User-525215917 posted

I suggest you to check out WURLF project. It is open source projects that collect sinformation about mobile devices. They have library for .Net also. But the thing you should be interested about is GUI application written in Java that shows you information about devices. I have used it and I was happy with it. :)

What kind of information you should check? Device content support, of course. What kind of markups it accepts and what kind of images, which sdimension and which sizes. Also you may want to check out SonyEricsson's developers site. There should be documents describing also devices WAP browsers rendering capabilities.

Saturday, January 20, 2007 8:26 PM