none
C# ACCESS TO ORACLE ON UNIX RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have two platforms, Windows and UNIX.

We have VS2005 installed on a Windows environment. Is it possible to connect to an ORACLE database installed on a UNIX box?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Friday, January 4, 2008 6:38 AM

Answers

•  marcel nita wrote:
    Yes, it possible, however you will have to raise you assembly to the UNSAFE CAS level, such that the OraclePermission will be granted.

Regards

That is actually not correct all you need is to download and install the correct Oracle client software that is 9i client for 9i, 10g client for 10g and put your TNS.ORA file in your development folder.  In higher VS editions you will not know the difference it is just a connection string change.  I have used 8i, 9i and 10 for .NET development.

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:46 PM

All replies

• Yes, it possible, however you will have to raise you assembly to the UNSAFE CAS level, such that the OraclePermission will be granted.

Regards
    Friday, January 4, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Of course you can.  Do you need to know how, or just if?  I would recommend looking into MS's Enterprise Library, specfiically look for the Data Access Application block.
    Friday, January 4, 2008 4:26 PM
  •  marcel nita wrote:
    Yes, it possible, however you will have to raise you assembly to the UNSAFE CAS level, such that the OraclePermission will be granted.

Regards

That is actually not correct all you need is to download and install the correct Oracle client software that is 9i client for 9i, 10g client for 10g and put your TNS.ORA file in your development folder.  In higher VS editions you will not know the difference it is just a connection string change.  I have used 8i, 9i and 10 for .NET development.

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:46 PM