none
Visio - Need to add hyperlink and extended text that display with a hover type functionality RRS feed

• Question

• The Challenge:
    What I am trying to do is create a shape in a process flow that has a hyperlink to a sample document (I can do that no problem). But I also want to have some extended text associated with the shape so that when you pass the cursor over the shape (or maybe single-click it) the text displays. I thought a ScreenTip would work but it truncates the amount of text displayed. Additionally, if the shape has both a hyperlink and a ScreenTip associated to it, the hyperlink takes precedence and the ScreenTip is not displayed. Finally, I tried creating a shape with the ScreenTip and one with the hyperlink, then Grouping them but in that case the ScreenTip takes precedence and the hyperlink is not displayed. Also, the ScreenTip display restriction rears it's ugly head again.

Sample Scenario:
    I plan to use this functionality to create a process flow that offers the user a link to a document template as well as a description, checklist, step-by-step instruction or similar text explanation that "unfurls" as they walk through the process flow. For example; the flow may be for a project life-cycle. One step might be to "Hold kick-off meeting". That shape then has a hyperlink to an agenda template and a text (visible with hover or single-click) checklist of 20 things to do before the meeting.
    H/W and S/W Specs:
    Windows XP Pro, ver. 2002, SP 3 
    Visio 2003 (will be ungrading to 2010 shortly)
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:01 PM

All replies

1. Choose which page you want to link to.
    2. Type the name of the shape that you want to link to.

To get the shape's name, on the Tools menu, click Options, click the Advancedtab, and under Advanced options, select the Run in developer mode check box. Right-click the shape, point to Format, and then click Special. The shape's name is in the Name box.

1. Choose the zoom level that you want.
    1. To link to a specific anchor on a Web page, in the Sub-address box, type the anchor name.

If you are not sure whether to use an anchor name, leave the Sub-address box blank.

1. In the Description box, type a name for the hyperlink.
    2. To create a relative hyperlink, select the Use relative path for hyperlinkcheck box.

A relative hyperlink specifies the location of the file that you are linking to, relative to the location of your current drawing. If you are not sure whether to use a relative hyperlink, do not select the Use relative path for hyperlink check box.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:06 AM
  • Dear Mike

I tried again to search you the answer, I find detailed helpful answered for your question , Where Mark Nilson (Office Graphics Visin, Microsoft Corporation)had posted his helpful answer to this site

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32531445/how-to-make-text-hover-over-icon.aspx

Thanks for him

Please tell me Mike to stop searching

Regards

Mona

Summary:
    You can add the User.visEquivTitle cell to your shape and provide a string
    that will display as a tooltip in the web output. The shape must also have
    at least one custom property for the tooltip to be visible.

Steps:
    1) Select the shape in your drawing that you want to add a web tooltip for
    2) Go to Window > Show Shapesheet
    3) Go to Insert > Section, check User-defined cells and click OK
    4) In the newly created section, click on the row name User.Row_1 to select
    the title of the row
    5) Type visEquivTitle and press Enter - you should now see
    User.visEquivTitle for the row
    6) In the Value cell of that row, enter the text you want to display
    surrounded by quotes (e.g. "Hello World")
    7) If you instead want to display the same tooltip as the Shape ScreenTip
    enter =Comment (no quotes)
    8) Go to Insert > Section, check Custom properties and click OK
    9) You can fill in the custom property Label and Value if you want this
    information to be visible
    10) If you don't want the custom property to be visible, enter TRUE in the
    Invisible cell
    11) Close the Shapesheet window and repeat for any other shape you like
    12) Choose File > Save as Web Page to create the HTML output

As you can see this is a bit involved. The capability was designed more as
    a developer feature than an end user feature. I recommend tying the Shape
    ScreenTip to the User cell so that you see the same tooltip in both Visio