How to always Get Latest on Checkout with Visual SourceSafe 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Visual SourceSafe 2005 (ver 8.0.50727.1551) within Visual Studio 2008.

I have installed the following updates to VSS:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943847
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=939808

Basically, my objective is to ensure if one developer changes code and 'Checks it In', when the next developer comes along to make changes to the same bit of code and 'Checks it Out', it automatically gets the latest version of the code from VSS database before the code is checked out, so the second developer knows he is making changes to the latest code, without having to remember to manually 'Get Latest' before he makes edits.

Is there any setting where i can set to always perform a 'Get Latest on Checkout'?

Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Estate_Master,

As far as I know, Checking out a file automatically gets the latest version of the file. I don't think you need to manually to use "Get Latest" when you check out files. But you can specify how VSS compares files to determine if local copy is the latest version. Please see this article Get Latest in SourceSafe / VSS for detailed.

If I misunderstood you, or you have any comments, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Nancy Shao [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Proposed as answer by Sanjeev.Kumar Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nancy Shao Monday, May 17, 2010 2:57 AM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Estate_Master,

As far as I know, Checking out a file automatically gets the latest version of the file. I don't think you need to manually to use "Get Latest" when you check out files. But you can specify how VSS compares files to determine if local copy is the latest version. Please see this article Get Latest in SourceSafe / VSS for detailed.

If I misunderstood you, or you have any comments, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Nancy Shao [MSFT]

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Proposed as answer by Sanjeev.Kumar Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nancy Shao Monday, May 17, 2010 2:57 AM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 3:05 AM
  • Hi Estate_Master,

I am writing to follow up this issue. Please let me know what I can help. Thanks.

Regards,

Nancy Shao [MSFT]

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Hi Nancy

It seems that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt work? I had an issue yesterday where i clicked on 'Check Out', made changes to the code, then checked it in, but when doing a 'compare' the next day, i found that the file i edited was not the one from source safe, so the 'Get Latest' didnt seem to work.

Friday, July 2, 2010 2:22 AM