none
install .Net 2.0 on 32 bit Vista, after you cleaned it off RRS feed

• Question

• The .NET Framework 3.5 update has been trying to install, almst every day, but fails every time. 

I have tried everything I could find on the internet... even cleaning off all of .NET (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) to try and reinstall.

Well .NET doesn't seem to work like that.  There is no simple one file install for this.   First you have to install 1.0, then 1.1... then 2.0 and 3.0 and THEN (I think) you can reinstall 3.5.

Well  I am using the Dell M1330 with Windows Vista Ultimate Home 32 bit.

I can't seem to find the install for 2.0, it seems it is supposed to be part of the O/S.  However I removed all of .NET with the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.

When I go to the "Windows features on or off", I get a blank dialog box.   Nothing to check or uncheck.

So now the the dd_dotnetfx35error log file says 

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code -2146762496
    WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed.

So I would think that all I need to do is install .NET Framework 3.0SP1?  Well, that has to be done from the "Windows features on or off".  I can't find any standalone installer for Vista 32 bit.

KB937287  is x86, and tells me "this update does not apply to your system"

Help!

log file http://www.file-upload.net/download-1953651/vslogs.cab.html

NetFx35_detect_issues.bat results:

WINDOWS VERSION: 6.0.6001
    POTENTIAL ERROR: REGISTRYDUMP: reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework
    Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727" /v "SP"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727
        SP    REG_DWORD    0x2

ERROR: NetFx2.0 SP1 is not installed
    POTENTIAL ERROR: REGISTRYDUMP: reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework
    Setup\NDP\v3.5" /v "Install"
    ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
    ERROR: Netfx3.5 RTM is not installed

Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:09 PM

Answers

• Hi BuckM,

Thank you for your post. I can understand your worries on this issue. Let's start to troubleshoot.

As we know, .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are shipped with Windows Vista as OS components. Thus, we don't need to manually install it. We can try repairing it on Vista.
    To install .NET Framework 3.5, we need .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 to be installed as prerequisite. However, we cannot distinguish whether .NET Framework 3.0 has been installed or not on your machine since Windows Features list was broken.

Could you please try the following points step by step?

Firstly, we should get Windows Features list back. You can try the workaround described at here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712.
    If it doesn't work, I would suggest you to try posting the issue of Windows Features list on Technet - Windows Vista Setup forum to get more useful help there.

After Windows Features list can work well on your machine, please check whether you have turned on the windows feature of .NET Framework 3.0.
    Please go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0.

Then please try .NET Framework verification tool to verify .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on your machine.
    If .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on Windows Vista.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx
    If you have installed .NET 2.0 with SP1 and .NET 3.0 with SP1, please try: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/07/03/8685850.aspx.

After both .NET 2.0 and 3.0 can be verified, please download and run .NET Framework 3.5 full package to install .NET 3.5.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:36 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, October 26, 2009 3:09 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:35 AM