Using EW4 DWT in VS2005 RRS feed

• Question

• I guess I'm getting dense in my old age. I've been searching EW and VS documentation as well as searching the web for three days trying to figure out how to get a template I created in Expression Web 4 into Visual Studio 2005. You'd think that since they are both Microsoft products the answer would be very easy to find, but I'm at a total loss. None of the topics I have read have anything to do with getting a single .dwt file into a VS2005 web project. If some of you experienced developers out there would kindly point me down the right path I woud be truly grateful.

Thanks,

Ron Brewer

Ron
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:55 PM

All replies

• Visual Studio is for asp.net.  For asp.net, you should use Master Pages, not DWTs.

I have no idea if VS 2005 understands DWTs.  I think VS 2008 and higher might, but that's something I read, not something I tested.

Adding further: there's no "getting a DWT into a VS project".  If you are using both VS and EW to edit the local site, the DWT is already there: you are editing the same set of files.  The question is if VS knows what it is, and if a DWT is the right thing to use at all for an asp.net site.

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:36 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Neither VS2008 or VS2010 allow you to create pages from a DWT and I doubt VS2005 will either. Given that you would (I presume) be wnting to add VB or C# code to the pages (else why use VS) then you'd need a .aspx extension to enable them to run. As Kathy said, you should be using ASP.Net MasterPages.

If you have some other reason to need a DWT based page in an ASP.Net based site, then create the pages first in Expression Web.

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:55 AM