Is the new server manager reverse-compatible?

Question

• I was curious if the new Metro-inspired Server Manager could monitor systems running older operating systems 1 or 2 generations back (2008 and 2008 R2).  Is this type of compatibility already in it?  Will it be in it when it is released?  I'll be migrating as many systems as I can, but my older servers are x32 and stuck with Server 2008.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

You can add a windows 2008R2 server in the Collection but the basic view as in windows 8 server is not for 2008R2.

There is still a longway to go for the 8 Server many things can be changed who knows but my guess Windows 2008R2 is fully supported and 2008 x64 minimal.

IMHO x32 is dead there is no upgrade path only the rebuild server option best on new hardware.

But what you can do is build a windows 8 management server and use all the 8 tools to manage your servers ( the server manager is more like a gui ) install all the features and role's for management this will work or x64 w8 apps for testing.

Greetings, Robert Smit [MVP] http://robertsmit.wordpress.com/ “Please click "Vote As Helpful" if it is helpful for you and Proposed As Answer”
    • Marked as answer by Mike Burroughs Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:21 AM