none
Turn off the display but using touch-screen? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in a project using a Pro Tablet 408 to run an application in assigned access in Windows 10.
    We want to turn the display off during the non-working time and using a power scheme to set "turn off the display" in 1 min. This works as intended.
    The problem is that we also want the user to be able to turn the display on by touching the screen if they want.
    The tablet is mounted so the user can’t use any of the keys (power, volume or Windows button).
    1. Is this even possible (that the touch function i "on" but the screens "picture" off)?
    2. If not possible, is the limitation in the hardware or the operating system?
    3. If not possible, any ideas of any other solution (the background is that the guarantee is limited using the screen more than 12 hours per day)?

If you run "powercfg / DEVICEQUERY all_devices" you get a list of all devices . One deivce is named "HID compliant touch screen".

If you run "powercfg / DEVICEQUERY wake_programmable" to see which devices that can wake the computer from sleep state you get 3 devices:
    Remote Desktop Keyboard Device
    Remote Desktop Mouse Device
    Realtek I2S Audio Codec

"HID compliant touch screen" is not in the list which you could interpret as it is not possible to use it to wake the computer?
    I dont know if wake from sleep state and start the display is comparable actions in this case.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:33 AM

All replies

• When the display is off, do you want also the whole system to sleep, or it can stay awake?

When the screen turns off due to timeout in your experiment, how do you turn it on again?

-- pa

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:35 PM
  • When the display is off, do you want also the whole system to sleep, or it can stay awake?
    >it can stay awake

When the screen turns off due to timeout in your experiment, how do you turn it on again?
    >by touching the "HID compliant touch screen"

-- pa

Monday, February 15, 2016 6:21 AM
  • From this information we don't get how the screen and the touch device are connected, and whether the latter can remain powered when screen turns off. Google shows "HP Pro tablet 408 G1" for search "Pro tablet 408", if this indeed is it, maybe HP support can help better.

But it has a camera and ambient light sensor. Even if the touch device is not capable to wake the system, you can keep the system on and only turn off the screen. Instruct the user to touch or move their hand near the camera or light sensor. When detecting a motion, turn the screen on.

Of course, if the system goes to sleep anyway, this won't work :-(

-- pa

Monday, February 15, 2016 10:09 AM