none
Access intranet and/or internal database away from the office not on VPN? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to programmatically send an email to an employee requesting an yes/no answer (e.g. "click here to approve").  It's not realistic from a security point to allow the employee to hit an intranet web page not at the office or on the VPN, right?  So, do I have to make the employee (always traveling) stop, open their laptop, get on the VPN, and then hit an intranet page to approve?  Or, is there a way I do this to make it easier on our traveling employees?

I suppose I could put a secure page on our public website (where they'd have a cookie on their phone), and then maybe our DBA could allow be to reach an internal database from the web page on our public site?

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:01 AM

All replies

• If the employees are using Microsoft Outlook (or OWA) than you ca do this using voting buttons.

Programmatically you can use the MailItem.VotingOptions on the object model.

The response will come back as a special email.

Friday, April 13, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Razvan has the right idea with Outlook as a feasible solution. As for your actual question - no, there is no way for traveling employees to access internal resources from outside of the network without a VPN.

Really, it only makes sense. From a security perspective, it defeats the purpose of having internal resources if they are publicly accessible, not to mention the scarcity of public IP addresses, internal domain name servers, etc.. It's not physically possible to do what you're talking about.

Outlook is one viable workaround, another is just to expose a secured service on the public site to handle these interactions.

Check out My Blog. Now updated to actually work!

Friday, April 13, 2012 8:39 PM