none
[Outlook AddIn] Delete a MailItem from draft on close RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got an Outlook addIn. It displays a button in the creating mail window.
    An event is handled when I click on this button. When this event occurs, I need to know the mail's To field.
    MailItem.To returns null. So, to get it anyway, I saved the MailItem (MailItem.save()). It saves the mail into draft box. Then I can get the "To" field.

However, I want the draft to be deleted when I close the window of mail writing. I put an onClose event which contains a Marshal.ReleaseComObject(mailItem) and MailItem.delete().

The point is that the delete method catch an exception and the mail isn't deleted from the draft.

Then, I could I delete it when the mail writing window is closed ?

Sorry if my english language isn't that good, it's not my native one.

Regards,
    Kirjava

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:02 AM

Answers

• You need to start the timer in MailItem.Close (or Inspector.Close?) event.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Deleting a MailItem in the Close event of this MailItem doesn't make sense. Try deleting it after a delay. You need to use a System.Windows.Forms.Timer. Its event fires on the main thread and this is essential since the Outlook object model must be accessed on the main thread only.

Andrei Smolin

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:33 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for a so fast answer !
    I could put a timer, but I don't know when to start it. I don't know when will the user click on close or even if he will.

Or maybe did I miss something in your answer ?

Regards,

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:51 AM
  • You need to start the timer in MailItem.Close (or Inspector.Close?) event.

Andrei Smolin

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:48 AM
  • I tried what you suggested and it works.
    Thank you very much.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:11 PM