none
What future improvements would you like for Small Basic? RRS feed

• General discussion

• What future improvements would you like for Small Basic?

Here's some thoughts I'm having:

First of all I admire the works of Microsoft. I think their task of innovation would be very challenging with enormous facets. Yet they continue to meet their market. It's also great to see that they just became more valuable than Exxon - a climate change thing.

1. I've read on the forum somewhere that the developer who created SB did so in their own time. It's pretty obvious that the information revolution will pave the way for subsequent revolutions, in particular an education revolution. So I wish MS would value our education more. Personally I don't think parents should have to pay a cent to have their children educated. This generation should coff up and hand over their best to the next without discrimination. So MS please invest lots of money in education. There should PPP opportunities for corporations with naturally monopolistic intellectual assets.
    2. SB and the cloud. I wish SB programs ran in browsers without the need for beginners to code workarounds. It must be disappointing to code your first graphics masterpiece only to see it misbehave in the browser along side your beautiful code to share. And also have the frame set to the same size as the GraphicsWindow. And minimise the SB logos that are embedded in our webpages.
    3. Also help encourage nOObies into getting themselves in the cloud. Perhaps via the SB IDE.
    4. And of course Robotics.

Mr Obama just pointed out to the world via a recent speech on his G20 visit to sunny Australia, that the future is reliant upon the next generation having a voice and feeling comfortable to use it. He observed that the current generation can be slow to change because they have considerable investments in the current ways of doing things.

So I'd like to have access to better educational resources and I'd like corporations like MS to value more who the next generation actually are and what they're worth.

There's also been a community desire expressed (with some support) that Bill Gates give public recognition to the efforts and objectives of the SB project. That could help improve educational resources for programming.

Sunday, November 16, 2014 8:44 AM

All replies

• It would be cool if MS scholarships also apply to students that are going to enroll in colleges with their major relating to computers.
    Sunday, November 16, 2014 9:07 PM
  • IMO, w/o offering local variables, functions w/ parameters + return, and some kinda foreach loop, Small Basic won't be chosen for any computer introduction classes!  @_@

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

Monday, November 17, 2014 2:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Eh, we are using small basic in our intro to programming class. But it is his first year teaching and I think he is get funding next year.

And if you are looking for something better then small basic why not use visual basic.

• Edited by Dinomite07 Monday, November 17, 2014 4:04 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 3:49 PM
  • I've read earlier thoughts on "SB - tomorrow" and some were concerned with complicating it too much. I love the simplicity BUT complicate what?

The ide is great. So what about a settings button that loads an advanced library and more ide features.

I think one risk when it's too simple (or without setting options) is that there could be a feeling that is too hard to get stuff done in programming. People could be discouraged.

I'm also concerned about not enough support for extensions. My big one is that if I use an extension and share my code in the SB landscape then users of the code need to manually add the libraries to their installation. So this is about online updates, settings and a registry of extensions or ide accessible market place for them.

I suppose this is why good programmers are in demand, users just keep wanting more. A healthy relationship I reckon.

I was a bit sad when the graduate feature didn't support multi-dimensional arrays.

Monday, November 17, 2014 6:30 PM
  • There has also been strong expression of interest that SB users have incentive to move on to other languages.

There's more than 1 way to maintain the integrity of this objective. The problem you'll always have is that SB is easy to use, quite powerful and therefore very addictive.

The only incentive I've had to move on was the encouragement of more experienced programmers. And that encouragement came from this community.

Monday, November 17, 2014 6:46 PM
  • Thanks for your thoughts. Keep them coming, people listen.

Ed a while ago created the Small Basic Community Council it's main objective was to facilitate and act upon this kind of communication. I reckon that this shows that they want to know what we want. They can work out how to meet a diverse market.

Monday, November 17, 2014 6:54 PM
  • Monday, November 17, 2014 7:02 PM
  • I've read earlier thoughts on "SB - tomorrow" and some were concerned with complicating it too much.

Local variables and functions w/ parameters & returning value aren't anything complicated but essential for structured programming!

Even for children "Lego"-like languages like Scratch got them all!

My propose is keep global variables by default; but allow them to become local to a scope after a declaration.

That is the case for both JavaScript & Lua for example!  ;-)

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:40 AM
    Answerer
  • Jibba Jabba thanks for starting discussion topic

i love Small Basic because it is small

and small is beautifull

it has just 14 key words

about 20 classes, 6-8 events 50-60 methods and properties

all countable and understandable

and for high end there are other number of tools

every thing is not possible only with one tool

let the student have some thing simple so that they will have the joy of programming

Yes one thing is sure that SB shall available on other platforms too like mobiles
    • Edited by Vasekar Monday, November 24, 2014 5:52 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 5:51 PM
  • For me its present simplicity is essential to educate children and adolescents learn to enjoy.

Is also useful as it is for adults who enjoy programming.

To hardest things already exist more sophisticated languages.

Only you would ask that corrigierra known bugs.

Sorry for my English.

In Spanish:

-------------

Para mi es esencial su sencillez actual para formar a niños y adolescentes y que aprendan disfrutando.

Tambien es util tal cual esta para adultos que quieran disfrutar programando .

Para cosas mas dificiles ya existen lenguajes mas sofisticados .

Solo le pediria que corrigierra los errores conocidos .

jalpc

Monday, November 24, 2014 8:28 PM
  • I strongly hope to support high contrast setting in Small Basic IDE.

Nonki Takahashi

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:50 AM
  • Hi, a method for execute a file in File. class.

Thank You!

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 7:42 AM
  • Did you look at the LDProcess.Start(pathtofile,"") command?

Jan [ WhTurner ] The Netherlands

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 9:47 AM
    Answerer