Silverlight Version 2 RC0 Released RRS feed

All replies

•  Thank you for the link!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:35 PM
  • One thing not yet mentioned in the Breaking Changes docs is that you will need to change your "DisplayMemberBinding" tags to just "Binding" in the DataGrid.

I'm sure there will be a lot more forthcoming about the new datagrid.  That sucker rocks guys! 

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:24 PM
  • Thank you again for pointing that out. I was about to ask.

By the way, where is HitTest function for all the controls?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:30 PM
  •  the blog post seems to have been removed?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:39 PM
  • I was thinking that this was just more spam, but it indeeds looks legit...

http://msdnrss.thecoderblogs.com/2008/09/25/silverlight-version-2-rc0-has-been-released/

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:45 PM
  • You can find HitTest via the VisualTreeHelper.FindElementsInHostCoordinates method, it is no longer a part of the UIElement.  The method has 1 overload.  Make sure System.Windows.Media is referenced via an Imports or using statement.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:46 PM
  • I still want MS to let their lostfocus event works better and add some useful common control to their libary.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Just a shout out to all you rockin' VB control developers!  Surprise

You'll need to recompile your Silverlight controls or the apps you are using them in will be unable to load and will tell you they can not find the version of the Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll they are looking for.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:50 PM
  • I wouldn't spam ya Jacky-boy you old code teaching flamer you!  Don't know why the post is down but direct Microsoft links are live!

Be sure to uninstall all of Silverlight Beta 2 and Expression Blend 2.5 before you install.

Visual Studio 2008 Tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=c22d6a7b-546f-4407-8ef6-d60c8ee221ed&displaylang=en

Windows Silverlight 2 Dev Runtime RC0
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=129011

P.S. Tell samcov I said hi...yeah I know all aboutcha!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:03 PM
  • OK, so far so good. Fixed few compiling errors by hand. The beta2 solution compiled and runs fine. Have not checked every page. But definitely a much smoother transition than the beta2 release.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:11 PM
  •  does anyone have the version # i need to use for the <asp:Silverlight MinimumVersion="..." /> ? It was on the blog before it was taken down.

Thanks

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:13 PM
  • I believe MinimumVersion="2.0.30923.0" will work for you my quick-quacking friend!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:19 PM
  • Way smoother transition!  My app is huge and in less than an hour it is running more solid than I would've imagined.  No show stoppers yet!

How bout some love for that datagrid (way more fluid...yet feels solid...how odd....)?!?  Give it up, give it up!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:23 PM
  • Friday, September 26, 2008 12:54 AM
  • Also, please note that ScottGu's blog is published. Check it out!

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2008/09/25/silverlight-2-release-candidate-now-available.aspx

Friday, September 26, 2008 1:01 AM
  •  I noticed a breaking change with my codebase that I didnt see documented (but maybe it's around a concept I'm not familiar with yet). Seems now in RC0 that I can't succesfully make any soap calls unless I've already initialized Application.RootVisual to a control beforehand. Does anyone know why that might be the case now?

I can work around this with some non-trivial changes to our code, but either way I'd like to know more about what's going on internally and any relationship there may be between the RootVisual and messaging from soap requests.

Thanks

Friday, September 26, 2008 1:33 AM
  • Seems now in RC0 that I can't succesfully make any soap calls unless I've already initialized Application.RootVisual to a control beforehand. Does anyone know why that might be the case now?

I'll take a stab, and this really is pure speculation as I haven't had a chance to load up the RC yet, but web service calls are invoked on the UI thread, and if you were looking to grab a Dispatcher to Invoke on, the RootVisual would be a pretty good place to start.

Friday, September 26, 2008 1:50 AM
  • ComboBox FTW!! Party!!!

Friday, September 26, 2008 2:23 AM
  • -- sorry bt the double post, its embarassing how excited i feel hahaha

Friday, September 26, 2008 2:23 AM
  • I have posted a comment for asking that is it feature complete.Scott guthrie replied that

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2008/09/25/silverlight-2-release-candidate-now-available.aspx#6642312 

"We are feature-complete for the core SL2 download.  You'll see additional controls and features ship over the next few months that run on top of SL2 though."

Please Could any geek/SL team member can explain that what could be meant by top of SL though ?

Friday, September 26, 2008 2:42 AM
  •  It means they will be releasing new controls as a separate project. So to use them you will have to reference one or more dll:s in your projects. The new controls will not be part of the normal SL2 runtime.

Friday, September 26, 2008 3:11 AM
  • http://silverlight.net/blogs/msnow/archive/2008/09/25/silverlight-version-2-rc0-released.aspx

There you go all you haters! Stick out tongue

I ain't just screwin' around with your heads...well...maybe I am!

Devil

Ok, I confess I was a hater on you, but come on, with a name like SilverlightRelease, what could you expect.

BTW, come clean, you didn't just predict this, you have to have had some inside info.

Sam...

Friday, September 26, 2008 4:30 AM
  • Ok Now understand it can be said Like Custom Control.

Thanks hwsoderlund.

Only Funny Part is about Expression Blend 2.5 project.[ as there will be no expression blend 2.5 future release] as mnetioned http://blogs.msdn.com/expression/archive/2008/09/25/expression-blend-2-sp1-preview-released.aspx But I think by this there will be more reachability and a good move as we don't need yet another product

Friday, September 26, 2008 4:43 AM
  • I've created new silverlight app (with web project) in VS2008 using RC0.  The generated html loads app in the browser ok.  However, the generated aspx won't load the app - an error displays "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Silverlight' or one of its dependencies".

If I copy the "System.Web.Silverlight.dll" from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v2.0\Libraries\Server to my project bin directory I'm now asked to "install microsoft silverlight" when viewing page.  Also, this link takes me to Beta 2 download.  By the way, "System.Web.Silverlight.dll" version is 2.0.30825.0, which doesn't seem right since aspx page requires 2.0.30923.0:

<asp:Silverlight ID="Xaml1" runat="server" Source="~/ClientBin/SilverlightTestApp.xap" MinimumVersion="2.0.30923.0" Width="100%" Height="100%" />

Any ideas?  Thanks. 

Friday, September 26, 2008 10:14 AM
  • A couple of things to save some time:

1) The SP1 Update for Blend is for the Blend 2 product, not the June2008 preview. So you will either need to own a copy of blend, or download the free trial.

2) You cannot deploy RC0 applications to the web! Its a "preparation" release to ensure that your existing code will work when final release comes out.

3) RTFM first. There is a lot of information in the Word doc for breaking changes. Taking 30 minutes to read it thoroughly will save you lots of time and unneccesary forum posts!

Friday, September 26, 2008 10:20 AM
  • I did not find any DataGrid related breaking changes in the document. But I have encountered an error when setting DataGridColumn.Header to a control.

See this thread: http://silverlight.net/forums/t/30591.aspx

Anybody has a idea?

Friday, September 26, 2008 12:02 PM
  •  Hi any body tell

What is the purpose of 

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} sl2rc0 ..

How can i install it .. if i want to install Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} sl2rc0 is it i Uninstall the previous silverlight beta 2.0 .. i am getting confused to read the Breaking Changes Between Beta2andRelease Any one can clear my doubt

Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:47 AM
  •  Hi any body tell

What is the purpose of 

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} sl2rc0 ..

How can i install it .. if i want to install Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} sl2rc0 is it i Uninstall the previous silverlight beta 2.0 .. i am getting confused to read the Breaking Changes Between Beta2andRelease Any one can clear my doubt

Do you know why your message is always like this, hardly readable?

To install sl2 RC0,  just run the install. You do not have to uninstall beta2 first. The RC0 install should remove it for you. But I think you need to uninstall Blend June preview first yourself. Just run the RC0 install, it will tell you what you need to do in the process.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:28 AM
  • Hi ,

Just try downloading the Silverlight RC0 setup .Its sufficient to uninstall the existing vesion an will take car of the new update.

Thanks

Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:00 PM
  •  Hi Sladapter

Sorry ya . I dont know whats happening at when i am post new forum in silverlight.net . I am worried about this because friends are dont get fully whats my requirements in my posts..any way thanks for your suggestion .. i will try to recover that .. if you have anything ideas regarding this please tell .ya .. its useful for me for your post .. 

And another one quesitions is How can i caonvert Page.Xaml page to directly image .. 

that means what i mentioned at silverlight page when i am fire some events it will be convert into image ..(xaml to image) How can i achieve this 

Monday, September 29, 2008 12:59 AM
  •  this link

Post Not Found
    The post you requested cannot be found or no longer exists. The administrator or moderator may have deleted the post.

Friday, October 3, 2008 7:33 AM