none
VSTO Addin installed but not enabled automatically when opening Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

If I am posting this message today, this is because I have been struggling these last few days with a VSTO Addin for which I am trying to perform a fully automated and silent installation from a SCCM deployment server (without a certificate)

I could make some research on many forums and discovered that several ways to install a VSTO Addin exist (Windows installer for Visual Studio with a mandatory certificate, using the VSTOInstaller.exe with silent switch but with a mandatory certificate required as well and so on…).

Here are the components I have and where I am struggling at the moment :

- A VSTO Addin for Outlook which applies a Template for meeting items and which works perfectly when it is installed manually by double-clicking its ".vsto" file. It was developed and generated using Visual Studio Professional 2017.

- An InstallShield 2018 Lite license I purchased this week, used to generate my setup file with the Following settings :

• Registry keys :
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\MY_ADDIN.OutlookAddIn]
      "Description"="My desription"
      "FriendlyName"="MY_ADDIN"
      "LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003
      "Manifest"="file:///[INSTALLDIR]MY_ADDIN.vsto|vstolocal"

I set exactly the same value for the Following key as well :
      [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\My_Addin.OutlookAddIn]
    • Files :
      Project output
      MyAddin.dll.manifest
      MyAddin.vsto
    • Installation settings :
      For all machine (all users)/single user

When the setup.exe is tested, everything is installed properly in the folder I configured (namely C:\Program Files(x86)\MyAddin) but when I open Microsoft Outlook 2016, it is not loaded automatically.
    If I go to the "File", "Options" menu, I can see my VSTO Addin listed in the inactive addins and a message is stating that an error occurred when loading the addin.

Nevertheless, if I try to double-click the ".vsto" file from the install folder directly, it gets installed in user context without any problem.

What am I doing wrong ?
    Do I need to add other settings to my installer for that ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fred

• Edited by faubry Saturday, June 23, 2018 12:14 PM
    Saturday, June 23, 2018 9:35 AM

All replies