none
KINECT for windows...using neural network. (acceleration and velocity detection) RRS feed

• General discussion

• hi... is there a possibility that i can detect the VELOCITY and ACCELERATION of an object using MICROSOFT KINECT FOR WINDOWS device, with neural network? i need to have atleast an idea about it... it will be a big help for my thesis project :) thanks.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:34 AM

All replies

• hi... is there a possibility that i can detect the VELOCITY and ACCELERATION of an object using MICROSOFT KINECT FOR WINDOWS device, with neural network? i need to have atleast an idea about it... it will be a big help for my thesis project :) thanks.

what do you mean neural network? If you mean brain the Kinect is not designed to read the brains network so the easy answer would be no. If you mean velocity and acceleration of an object then it is possible if you have formulas. You should take time trails of randomly sized objects and then you can detect an object of that size and determine: how slow or fast it is to stop and other features of it. But please give more information so we have a better idea of the project.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:33 AM edit 4
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:30 AM
  • yes, NEURAL NETWORK ( what I mean is like the BRAIN ) .

or can you give me an idea if the kinect for windows can generate or identify the velocity and acceleration of the object.

for example, i want  to detect the velocity and acceleration of the vehicles using the KINECT for Windows. can you give me any idea about this? thanks :))

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:00 AM
  • hi.. we have the same question and field of study ejheys25..

We are also using kinect for Windows to detect the velocity and acceleration of a vehicle for our thesis, to caught overspeeding vehicles in the hi-way..

according to what I read there's a thing called artificial neural network and it is an interconnected group of natural or artificial neurons that uses a mathematical or computational model for information processing based on a connectionistic approach to computation. In most cases an ANN is an adaptive system that changes it's structure based on external or internal information that flows through the network. It is like a non-linear statistical data modeling or decision mking tools, and they can be used to model complex relationships between inputs and outputs.

But is it possible to get the velocity and acceleration of the vehicle even if we don't use the Artificial Neural Network?

if it is possible how can we do it..

thanks for your response.. :)

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

you use neural networks to classify stuff. Taking the car example would be classes like: car below speed limit, car above speed limit. For training a neural network you need a training set of data. The more samples the better. This training data needs to be labeled - meaning you have to declare if this car is speeding or not. You than declare how many layers of neurons you want. You can imagine a neuron as a simple yes/no threshold gate. The neurons can then be "trained" by a machine learning algorithm.

The ideal result is a network with the weights adjusted that can classify your data without knowing the result in advance.

WEKA is a popular toolkit where you can try and test several machine learning algorithm implementations. 

There is a lot more behind this topic. But this is a simple explanation. I am not sure if a neural network is suited for determining the speed of a car.

• Edited by Xcessity Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:12 AM
  • hi.. thanks for the response..

but do you know some kind of software or toolkit we can use or team up with the kinect sensor so that we can get or measure the velocity  and acceleration of a moving object.. :)

it would be a good help..

thanks! 

^^

Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

you use neural networks to classify stuff. Taking the car example would be classes like: car below speed limit, car above speed limit. For training a neural network you need a training set of data. The more samples the better. This training data needs to be labeled - meaning you have to declare if this car is speeding or not. You than declare how many layers of neurons you want. You can imagine a neuron as a simple yes/no threshold gate. The neurons can then be "trained" by a machine learning algorithm.

The ideal result is a network with the weights adjusted that can classify your data without knowing the result in advance.

WEKA is a popular toolkit where you can try and test several machine learning algorithm implementations. 

There is a lot more behind this topic. But this is a simple explanation. I am not sure if a neural network is suited for determining the speed of a car.

Yes, I failed to mention I took a computer search engine and data classification class and you typically give a search engine data to start out with similar ot xcessity's post. In the case of velocity I would suggest BMI(body mass index) values of different people first such as football player, skinny person, fat person, and a few others in-between and plug them into the neural network. That way you have initial weights and can have it easier to calculate velocity because you can take initial speed readings too while you have that person their. static objects are harder to track with kinect so you have to make your own algorithm to track them. If someone has something better then BMI for application on people or users please suggest below. If a person is so tall they are going to be within a certain weight range so for most cases this will work on finding out weight when the kinect software only knows height and/or width.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

• Edited by The Thinker Sunday, August 11, 2013 9:04 PM
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 9:02 PM