Stupid -How to- question RRS feed

• Question

• First off, so you can appreciate where I am - I have Expression Studio 2, dont know anything about it or a real lot about web site creation in general. I can do a "reasonable" static site all in CSS and use PHP a fraction so as you can see, if not being a web designer is 0 and being at the pinnacle is 100, I am about 2 on that scale.....not quite raw newbie but not real far off it.

I have been doing a tutorial on Blend 2 in order to get used to it. In the tutorial were examples on how to do different things such as animations and so on.

What the tutorial didnt tell me is how to get the things onto the web page. Eg, I decide to create an animated logo (which is exactly what I am attempting to learn to do - I have a static logo for my 1 man band business and am trying to animate it on my web site) and let us say I do it successfully. How do I get that onto a web site from there? I have been waiting for the answer to that all the tutorial but it never came. It isnt a Microsoft tutorial but it IS someone they recommend. Odd, to me....

Anyway, sorry for the stupid question - help will be gladly accepted.

Oh and no, I am one of those people who really dont have an idea for my own site what the heck to do with it other than the animation. I have put videos on web sites in the middle of the page before using Expression Web 2's ways of doing it but it really isnt ultimately the greatest idea but fulfills the need for the moment. I guess you could say I do have an imagination but I have never had the opportunity to use that with web site creation (always been static, boring) so am trying to overcome that.

Thanks for any help.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:36 PM

Answers

• I make a "bouncing ball" project (solution) not in Silverlight - how do I get that onto the site? Thanks.

Howdy,

Your work needs to be in Silverlight to run on the web. You cant run WPF in the browser unless you explicitly create an XBAP application (which is being killed off)

HTH

Cheers

Expression MVP

my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:24 PM
  • I make a "bouncing ball" project (solution) not in Silverlight - how do I get that onto the site? Thanks.

You don't. Silverlight = Web, WPF = Desktop.
    • Marked as answer by Gregishere Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:13 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:41 PM

All replies

• Here's the response I got when I first asked this question awhile back (kudos to Thebirdbath for writing it):

"As a designer, I needed it explained to me in non-developerese.  I use flash in my html pages for other sites, so how do I do this for my sites in silverlight?

First you have to understand, (and this was never explained to me) that like Flash has the .swf, Silverlight has the .xap file.  Once you build a project in silverlight (F5), you can go to the folder of the project and drill down to Bin> Debug > and then your .xap file. This file will be there once you build your project.

You will find inside the default.html file in that directory with the .xap file, the object code that you will need for use inside the HTML for your regular website page.  Copy that object code out of the default.html file and drop it in your HTML and then drop the .xap file onto your web directory making sure the path is correct in the object code."

I've used this a few times, and it works exactly as he describes.
    • Proposed as answer by VLTII Monday, May 4, 2009 1:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Gregishere Monday, May 4, 2009 8:40 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2009 1:12 PM
  • Ummm....thanks for the answer and yes, eventually when I feel happy enough about WPF stuff and decide to see what I can do with Silverlight using Blend, that will definitely be helpful for sure.

However, I did mention I was trying to animate a logo but I realise I didnt really say how. I didnt have my head into Silverlight so wasnt thinking that way. I was going to do it using WPF. I am unsure how to get that on to the site. I have done a tutorial "bouncing ball" style WPF and if I wanted that on my site, how do I get it there please? Got me beat so far. I did find a Microsoft tutorial showing how to incorporate a Silverlight project onto your site eventually and it occurred to me how CLUNKY it was, after all the other great things in the program to make the job easier, that it was to put the finished project onto your site. I was really expecting something like an "export" command to your site. I know something stupid to think up, no doubt but I already admitted to being that raw and new that though I can see the potential, it will be some time before I am there in any real form. I dont get the time to do much learning, unfortunately. Still, it amazes me - that which I have seen - what the entire suite of programs is capable of doing.

My stupid question is still something that amazes me, too. I make a "bouncing ball" project (solution) not in Silverlight - how do I get that onto the site? Thanks.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 8:50 PM

Howdy,

Your work needs to be in Silverlight to run on the web. You cant run WPF in the browser unless you explicitly create an XBAP application (which is being killed off)

HTH

Cheers

Expression MVP

my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:24 PM

• Marked as answer by Gregishere Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:13 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:41 PM

Howdy,

HTH

Cheers

Expression MVP

Hmm...sorry for cutting your blog link off but this reply spot wouldnt allow me to type anything not looking like a link.

Anyway, though it wasnt an answer I wanted, it was definitely an answer so thanks for that. It makes me ask what the heck use a WPF solution IS, then? I can understand "Use Silverlight" when using the program but for example, a person I know animated the betty Boop logo used on one of his customers' web sites (with permission I presume) so that it walks onto the screen from the right across the top nav bar and does her sound she is associated with. The animation was done, I presume, in flash. I thought a WPF was the Microsoft equivalent of that. Silverlight seems a lot more in need of power to run such stuff as animating a logo to me. Still, as I said, I know nothing about Silverlight and of course am probably wrong.

Your answer was definitely an answer and helpful.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:05 PM

I have to find out what possible use that is in the frame of using Expression Studio to make web sites, yet, though. What possible use is making a desktop exe that isnt used on a web site when everything else about Expression Studio is "web sites"? I have Expression Studio 2 and want to do more than static CSS sites and such and am busily trying to understand PHP, database and also animation. I guess I wasted my time doing the tutorial (not Microsoft but one they recommend) on Blend 2 where it applies to WPF. I never did have any idea of doing any desktop exe as I dont see how that applies to web sites.

Anyway, yep your answer was helpful and an answer, too, even if it wasnt the answer I wanted to see! Such is life!
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:13 PM
  • I think the idea was that Silverlight is supposed to be a stripped-down version of WPF, though that's changed in the last few releases with Silverlight getting features like VSM well before WPF does. Blend is a tool that creates both, similar to how Photoshop can be used for both Web and Print graphics.

If it makes you feel any better, going the WPF > Silverlight can force you to learn a lot more than going straight to Silverlight, especially since you'll learn to build things from scratch.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:26 PM