none
Project Online: project will not move to next workflow stage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, another workflow question: I've created a workflow using the SPD 2013 for a Project Online PWA. When a project has gone through the portfolio analysis it should move to either the Selected or the Not selected workflow stage. The problem is that some projects do and some don't:

("Naam van werkstroomfase" = Workflow Stage Name)

All projects were checked in when I committed the portfolio scenario.

Does anyone else have the same experience and how did you solve it?

Kind regards,

Hester

Friday, March 15, 2013 9:53 AM

Answers

• Hello Hester,

I tried the scenario in a Project Online environment and had the same issues. Today I retried the workflow and projects will now move to the next stage just fine. Perhaps the Microsoft guys fixed something in the Servers. Could you please check if your workflows work as well?

Thanks for letting us know,

Erik

• Marked as answer by Hester Blok Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:33 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Hi Jim, here's what we found out. In one of the early stages of the workflow I put a conditional transition where the workflow had to check if a custom date field contained a value. The hint was in an error message on the Additional Workflow Information page, where it said "/ReadDateTimeProperty". Rather abstruse message, but it turned out that when this field is empty the workflow would complete or get cancelled. I re-configured the workflow to check only flags in the transitions and now it works fine. Hope this helps!
    Monday, April 13, 2015 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hello Hester,

I tried the scenario in a Project Online environment and had the same issues. Today I retried the workflow and projects will now move to the next stage just fine. Perhaps the Microsoft guys fixed something in the Servers. Could you please check if your workflows work as well?

Thanks for letting us know,

Erik

• Marked as answer by Hester Blok Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:33 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:35 PM
  • I guess they must have changed something; it is working now... thank you for your reply!
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:33 PM
  • I am in a similar 'stall' state. Some workflow steps execute fine, others take up to a day to clear and send the email notification. I cannot debug or troubleshoot since we are 'in the cloud' so my efforts to tweak and restes have been futile.

Very frustrating. We are waiting to rollout this solution and will not if the workflow engine is sputtering.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 5:52 PM
  • Hi Jim,

We're facing a similar problem now in an Online PWA of one of our customers. Sometimes the workflow does what it is supposed to and at other times it gets cancelled or completed even though all conditions have been met to go to a next stage. Indeed, very frustrating. I've raised a support issue with Microsoft. I will keep you posted here.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Hi Jim, here's what we found out. In one of the early stages of the workflow I put a conditional transition where the workflow had to check if a custom date field contained a value. The hint was in an error message on the Additional Workflow Information page, where it said "/ReadDateTimeProperty". Rather abstruse message, but it turned out that when this field is empty the workflow would complete or get cancelled. I re-configured the workflow to check only flags in the transitions and now it works fine. Hope this helps!
    Monday, April 13, 2015 10:24 AM
  • Hello All:

I have an issue open with Premier Support and through hours of testing and tweaking, I've summarized as follows:

The 'stalls' always happen when any of the following code is added to the SPD2013 workflow. The common thread is Project Custom Fields and the code has been inserted at various points to prove the failure.

1. When a SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow attempts to access a large number (more than 10?) of Project Custom fields from the Start a process command, the workflow stalls. In this case we are adding custom field values to the email body for Gate Approvers.
    2. When accessing a large number (12 or more?) of custom fields and writing those values out to a SharePoint List as a baseline 'snapshot' of custom fields, the workflow stalls.
    3. When attempting to update a Project Custom field value, the workflow stalled. (i.e. Set Project Status = ‘Approved’ at Gate 3)

We have pulled that code (and function) from this release and begin user training tomorrow.

Monday, April 20, 2015 7:28 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thank you for the update. These three steps don't sound very exotic and I'm curious to know what Premier Support comes up with.

Keep me posted!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:13 AM