Installation of SQL Server 2016 on Windows Server 2016 TP5 failed RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install SQL Server 2016 on freshly installed Windows Server 2016 TP5 in a VM. 2 features failed of installation and they are:

• Client Tools SDK
    • Client Tools Backwards Compatibility

Since I'm installing in a VM, it's easy to go back to the original state and try again. This time I only selected these two features in order to see if they can succeed. However, they failed again. Below is a snapshot.

I tried to search in the log file and found something I don't understand. Below is the log file (I put in dropbox). Hope someone can help to take a look.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8019063/log.7z

Saturday, July 16, 2016 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Invisible,

Could you please share the error message of .net framework to us? You will get it by using the following steps:

1.Click Windows button, type %temp% in search bar and click temp folder in search results.
      2.Search for filename that starts with “Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup”.

Based on the error message, this issue is caused by that the installation of .net framework fails. This issue can be caused in the following scenarios.

1. If you did not install .net framework 4.6.1 before, it will be automatically installed by setup when SQL Server Management Studio is selected. However, when you install SQL Server 2016 offline, .net framework 4.6.1 cannot be installed automatically. In this scenario, you can install .net framework 4.6.1 first, please download it from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49982 , then install SQL Server 2016 again.

2. You have installed .net framework 4.6.1 before you install SQL Server 2016, but it is corrupted, you can firstly repair it using this tool. If this issue still persist, please reinstall .net framework 4.6.1 again.

Regards,

Teige

Monday, July 18, 2016 3:02 AM

All replies

• Hi There,

I did not try installing in windows 2016 environment but I have installed the SQL 2016 on windows 2012R2 and it works fine.

Clinet Tools SDK & Backword compatibility are shared features. check your firewalls. It could be OS level some thing stopping to install. Check the even viewer for more information.

Good luck

Kumar

Monday, July 18, 2016 1:54 AM
  • Hi Invisible,

Could you please share the error message of .net framework to us? You will get it by using the following steps:

1.Click Windows button, type %temp% in search bar and click temp folder in search results.
      2.Search for filename that starts with “Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup”.

Based on the error message, this issue is caused by that the installation of .net framework fails. This issue can be caused in the following scenarios.

1. If you did not install .net framework 4.6.1 before, it will be automatically installed by setup when SQL Server Management Studio is selected. However, when you install SQL Server 2016 offline, .net framework 4.6.1 cannot be installed automatically. In this scenario, you can install .net framework 4.6.1 first, please download it from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49982 , then install SQL Server 2016 again.

2. You have installed .net framework 4.6.1 before you install SQL Server 2016, but it is corrupted, you can firstly repair it using this tool. If this issue still persist, please reinstall .net framework 4.6.1 again.

Regards,

Teige

Monday, July 18, 2016 3:02 AM