deploying sql server database from VS 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• User-501461518 posted

Hi. I want to publish a complete site but before I've finished that I've just created a very simple single page site with a simple database to store contact details of people who want to be notified when the full site is operational. Its the first site I have ever published.

I have a godaddy hosting packaging that includes sql server database. I have ftp transferred the files for the simple "temporary" site. However, I cannot find information about how to publish/deploy the database. I'm using Visual Studio 2012. Can anyone talk me through what I do to get the site working on the remote hosting. I need a really simple idiots guide to walk me through this (even though I assumed it would be so so simple). Thanks

Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• User-1315512054 posted

Hello,

You could use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express. Read more at http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/4978/connecting-remotely-to-shared-hosting-databases.

The other option is to create a SQL backup file, deploy it on the server and ask their support to restore the database.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 7:48 AM
  • User1985864055 posted

See this tutorial series about VS 2012 deployment for one approach to deploying a database with a web app.  It shows two options, one for Entity Framework Code First Migrations and one without using EF CF.

http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/deployment/visual-studio-web-deployment/introduction

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:14 PM
  • User13850534 posted

Not sure if godaddy works differently. But for visual studio, you can refer to this microsoft page on how to publish the site directly

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd465337.aspx

Friday, May 3, 2013 3:01 AM
  • User311508580 posted

Hi hambi,

If you have problem, please just upload your .bak files via FTP and ask them to restore it for you.

Friday, May 3, 2013 4:33 AM
  • User-1193651527 posted

@hambi

I'm with Go Daddy and came across your post.

Have you been able to upload your database? The suggestion that @HostingASPNet provided should work in getting your database uploaded.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reply or private message me.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:05 AM
  • User361859439 posted

Hi,

To know how to restore your database on godaddy account please check the following URL

http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/4504/restoring-a-sql-server-database-from-bak-and-mdf-files

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:15 AM
  • User-501461518 posted

Hi. Thanks for the various replies but at the moment I still have not got a working solution but have just manually created a very simple database on the hosting server and manually editted the webconfig file on the server. Not a clever or good solution and not a solution that will work when I try to deploy the whole system.

TOPSPY: I tried the single click publish option and it doesn't work. It may be fine if you are deploying to Azure or Microsoft could but if you select ftp as the deployment option it specifically excludes the database.

I have downloaded the Database publishing wizard. It crashes and I am about to try to start googling why (the DPW) should be solution and but not at the moment. When I select the database to publish it comes up with a SQL Server error "this wizard will close because it encountered the following error: Additional information: Index was outside the bounds of the array (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"

The database has two very simple tables and one has 7 records and one has 4. It is ultra simple (hence easy to create by hand on the server) so I don't at the moment understand the index error.

I haven't downloaded the Server Management Studio. To be honest at the moment I am pretty frustrated with Microsoft. I ended up wasting a load of time this week because I did a drag and drop with the login control (on the full version of the site I am working on). It created the ASPNETDB database - all fine. I then tried to create a datacontext so that I could access some of the data from code behind and got an error that the database was from a different version of SQL Server (despite having just been created by VS) and had to be upgraded. The microsoft help didn't but eventually found out how to upgrade the database (and was then able to create a datacontext) only for the login control to then crash saying that the database was for a newer version of SQL Server. Turns out that in an update to VS I ended up with two different versions of SQL Server running on my PC (unknown to me) and different bits of VS using different versions of SQL Server. I still don't know how to resolve that but did find a difficult way around the problem for the login controls. The reason for explaining that is that a result is I'm nervous about installing loads of add ons to try to found a way to deploy the database. I installed the Azure stuff for single click deployment only for that to mess up my VS for a day and not solve the problem. Thus I'll install the Server Management Studio if its going to provide me with a working way to deploy the database but not particularly confident with microsoft at the moment and will google the error in DPW for the moment. However, all further help or comment would be appreciated.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:42 AM