No sound/audio after installing Windows Developer Preview

Answers

• what program is it?

What do you mean by "what program is it?"

Did you download and install the newest drivers as Marilyn suggested, or are you not sure how to do that?

Download Audio Drivers

Go to the website of the manufacturer and select your computer model (this is usually done in the Support section). You should have the option to download drivers for your model. Download the driver(s) and follow the instructions to install - every computer is different so I can't give you exact directions.

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode. To do this you can follow Marilyn's instructions, or if you are using Windows Explorer do the following:

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If you have audio drivers installed and working but still no sound:

If you have external speakers

Are they connected properly to the computer? If they need power are they plugged in? Are they turned on?

Is the sound device disabled?
    A. On the desktop, right-click the speaker icon on your taskbar
    B. Select "Playback Devices"
    C. In the white empty space right click and select both Show Disconnected/Disabled Devices
    D. Do you see icons for your speakers and headphones now? 
    E. If you now see it you may need to right click on the correct sound device and select "Set as default device"

Low Volume:
    There are many different places to adjust the sound. Are all of these turned up?
    1. Knob on the speakers, or if you have a laptop there might be a sound adjustment nob somewhere.
    2. On the program you are using to play music/video.
    3. Next to the clock on the bottom right of the screen there is usually a sound icon you can click. Also, right click the volume icon and click Open Volume Mixer.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 11:04 PM

All replies

• Check to see if you have updated drivers for you audio device.

Since most manufacturers have not created drivers for Windows Developers Preview, I suggest you update to the most current Windows 7 driver.
    If that doesn't work, they try to install in compatibility mode.

For the driver/drivers you downloaded use the compatibility troubleshooter to install them to see if that resolves the problem.
    You can do this by:

·         Enter the Start screen

·         Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

·         Select Search

·         Type Compatibility

·         Click Settings in the right column

·         Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

·         Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

If installing drivers don't help with your audio, you might try and update your BIOS. 

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can e solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:53 AM
  • what program is it?
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:43 PM
  • what program is it?

What do you mean by "what program is it?"

Did you download and install the newest drivers as Marilyn suggested, or are you not sure how to do that?

Download Audio Drivers

Go to the website of the manufacturer and select your computer model (this is usually done in the Support section). You should have the option to download drivers for your model. Download the driver(s) and follow the instructions to install - every computer is different so I can't give you exact directions.

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode. To do this you can follow Marilyn's instructions, or if you are using Windows Explorer do the following:

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If you have audio drivers installed and working but still no sound:

If you have external speakers

Are they connected properly to the computer? If they need power are they plugged in? Are they turned on?

Is the sound device disabled?
    A. On the desktop, right-click the speaker icon on your taskbar
    B. Select "Playback Devices"
    C. In the white empty space right click and select both Show Disconnected/Disabled Devices
    D. Do you see icons for your speakers and headphones now? 
    E. If you now see it you may need to right click on the correct sound device and select "Set as default device"

Low Volume:
    There are many different places to adjust the sound. Are all of these turned up?
    1. Knob on the speakers, or if you have a laptop there might be a sound adjustment nob somewhere.
    2. On the program you are using to play music/video.
    3. Next to the clock on the bottom right of the screen there is usually a sound icon you can click. Also, right click the volume icon and click Open Volume Mixer.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 11:04 PM
  • I've been searching for a solution for this issue for weeks, HP Pav m1050y with Creative Audigy 2Z S, yet Windows Audio Service will not start. Returns no audio devices installed.

Monday, November 14, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Hey GCNorton,

The error message may be occurring because your sound card isn't working properly. Try using the information provided in TrekDozer's answer above to install the latest driver for your sound card to see if that fixes the problem.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:15 PM
  • I have the same problem with my HP Pav a1640n, the weird thing is that the windows 7 beta it worked fine.  However i did have this problem on a few hp laptops with the windows 7 beta.  I could never get it to work with those laptops, and have only had problems with hp machines.
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:28 PM
  • Hey Transla70r,

Have you tried the steps provided by TrekDozer above? If not, please try each of the troubleshooting steps provided to see if this problem can be resolved by those methods.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 2:04 AM
  • Have you gone to Device Manager to see if the Audio Device is showing correctly there?
    Check to see if any Audio Device shows up in Device manager.
    Here are the steps to open Device Manager.
     1. Press both Windows key + Pause/Break keys at the same time.
     2. In System Properties, click on Device Manager on left side.  
     3. Check to see if your Audio device is listed or if it has a yellow exclamation point on any of those devices.
    If it has a bang (!), then click on the driver tab and see if it has the drivers correctly installed and has the latest version.
    If no driver installed, go to the manufacturer of the audio device and download Windows 7 drivers.

Please reply back with an update on your issue.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Monday, January 02, 2012 3:43 AM
  • Yes i had install Win Developer Preview in my Gigabyte GA G41C Combo Dual core and installed sound driver VIA HD sound driver.At first time it's not working but like Mrs.Marilyn said in compability mode, now my sound for music and anything else is working.Thanks Mrs.Marylin ..........
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:24 AM
  • Yes it work now .. At first time the sound it's not working when installed VIA HD sound driver and it's rejected by OS (windows developer preview ).But like Mrs.Marylin said run in compability mode,i had checked it and now the sound it's working.

I can hear and enjoy music and else in Windows DP.

Thanks to Mrs.Marylin ,,,

Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:34 AM