none
Front Page to Expressions Web 4 RRS feed

• Question

• We recently stopped using front page when we started to get windows 7 machines. I need to know how to give people access and take access away from people editing the site. In front page you just clicked on tools > server > (something like that), and all the users where there. I cannot seem to find anything like that. Could someone point me in the right direction?
    Where ever you go, there you are.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• ???

I once used FP, back at version 2000 a decade ago, but for the life of me I don't recall that. Then again, I was always the sole developer for the few sites I did with FP, so it may have been there and I didn't see it. But, I've used EW since version 2 came out, and I don't recall anything of that nature in the EW interface.

Maybe someone with more extensive/recent FP experience can help. Oh, and it might help get an answer if you took the trouble to provide the exact command sequence or interface interaction you're describing, instead of "something like that..."

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:22 PM
  • I found a picture of the menu i want to get to:

When using FrontPage 2003 to edit your FPSE Website or subweb, users can manage its permissions by using the Tools -> Server -> Permissions

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/xweb/archive/2009/04/10/manage-your-fpse-site-permissions-without-using-frontpage-2003.aspx

Where ever you go, there you are.

• Edited by tesdalld Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:46 PM Hyperlink and Text Edit
    • Marked as answer by tesdalld Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Interesting. As you now know, no such permissions control exists in EW (nor is there support for quite a few other FrontPage features).

You would be advised to see Recommendations Regarding FrontPage Server Extensions and Expression Web, produced by Microsoft Support for those still using the FPSE.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:11 PM
  • Requires FrontPage extensions on the server. Expression Web's support for FP extensions is rudimentary, and decreasing with every new version.
    The only ways to set permissions on a frontPage extended web are:
    1) Use FrontPage
    2) Ask the Host to create/delete users
    3) Use the extensions "command line" controls - which I have forgotten and can no longer find documentation on (FP extensions were effectively discontinued 5 years ago).

For Expression Web without extensions, set up FTP accounts for each user, pointing to the appropriate folders.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:20 PM