NPL subdirectory of the Network Monitor installation folder RRS feed

• Question

• I need to be able to find the NPL subdirectory of the Network Monitor installation folder, however its not in the folder structure - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Network Monitor 3

Any help as to why this is as i need to copy a file into this missing directory which should also contain a sparser.npl file? Which i also need to edit.

Monday, July 12, 2010 11:40 AM

All replies

• With Network Monitor 3.4, we've changed how parsers are stored.  Even in 3.3, we moved the parser location as application data doesn't belong in the Program Files directory.  We also want to discourage users from overwritting these files directly because future updates from http://www.codeplex.com/nmparsers will just replace these changes, and the user will lose modifcations they made.

With 3.4, we now create parser profiles.  Each profile can have different list of directories which determine where to pull parser files from.  So to create modifications you place your parser files in a directory and then create a profile that maps to that directory.  There is more explicit informaiton in the help file and a recent blog about profiles might also help.

Furthermore, there are now APIs you can call if you want to this programatically.  These will return the current directory paths and let you create new profeils as well.

Paul

Monday, July 12, 2010 3:25 PM