none
Integrating Project Server 2010 with custom application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to synchronize project and task data between Project Server 2010 and my application. For testing purposes I built console app and connected to Project Server using PSI. I was able to read needed data without much problem (thanks for some great help from Jim Corbin) and I guess, that writing data back also would not be a problem. But I can't understand how to get only changed data since last synchronization. I need low data latency, so I need to synchronize once in a minute or so. ReadProjectList method gets only guid, name and type, ReadProject gets basically all information for a given project...

Is there special methods to get only changed data - like ReadAllProjectsChangedSince or smth?

Or maybe I need to implement Event receiver or use some other approach?

Thanks in advance,

Juris

Friday, April 8, 2011 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Advox,

if you get only data from Project Server istance, you should read data from reporting database using sql script.

In this way, you can read directly published information in a quick way.

You can find reference about this database in SDK.

In order to get only last change, you can filter on CreatedDate, ModifiedDate field in you sql script, based on last synch.

What do you think about this?

I hope this can help you,

Best Regards

Paolo O.

• Marked as answer by Advox Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:51 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 7:00 PM
  • Issuing T-SQL queries is also supported for the reporting database as documented in the SDK. You could also maintain a table to track transactions and updates using custom event handlers.
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, April 11, 2011 8:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Advox,

if you get only data from Project Server istance, you should read data from reporting database using sql script.

In this way, you can read directly published information in a quick way.

You can find reference about this database in SDK.

In order to get only last change, you can filter on CreatedDate, ModifiedDate field in you sql script, based on last synch.

What do you think about this?

I hope this can help you,

Best Regards

Paolo O.

• Marked as answer by Advox Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:51 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 7:00 PM
  • Thanks, Paolo,

I'll try that today.

I mistakenly thought, that using SQL is not a recommended approach, but, seems, that it is OK.

Thanks again,

Advox

Monday, April 11, 2011 10:01 AM
  • Issuing T-SQL queries is also supported for the reporting database as documented in the SDK. You could also maintain a table to track transactions and updates using custom event handlers.
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, April 11, 2011 8:03 PM