Best Practices for Creating or Enhancing LightSwitch Projects? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm researching the use of Microsoft LightSwitch as a target for an automated UI/code builder. The application builder might create LightSwitch solutions and projects, and might create or modify existing .lsml files. What are the best practices for doing so? Is LightSwitch markup language documented?

Likely LightSwitch HTML, as opposed to desktop, will be the target but possibly both. LightSwitch is of interest specifically for its cross-device UI capabilities.

I asked this question yesterday on StackOverflow but haven't received an answer.

Friday, April 12, 2013 12:49 PM

Answers

• Hey Bob!

To answer your question: officially, no.  The LSML is not a "public" or "open source" format, and it most definitely isn't documented.

Unofficially: it's only xml,  and not that hard to understand.  However, being a self-proclaimed LS "Hacker" since the LS Beta days, I found that the LSML files (location, name, number of LSML files and format used in the files) tends to evolve rapidly.  So if you're going to base a business model around making changes to the LSML files, make sure you have lots and lots of spare time to keep your code up to date :-)

Keep rocking LS!

Jan

It's your story - time to switch on the innovation. || About me || LightSwitch blog

• Marked as answer by Bob Salita Friday, April 12, 2013 3:34 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 1:10 PM