none
Windows Embedded 8 Standard (WE8S) Toolkit Image Configuration Editor (ICE) Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently developing an embedded OS image based on Windows Embedded 8 Standard (WE8S). I have been able to successfully create, capture, apply, and activate a working OS image and runtime licenses for any deployed WE8S images are readily available.

My problem is that I have been unable to obtain, so far, a permanent Product Key to activate the WE8S Toolkit Image Configuration Editor (ICE). The ICE has a built in 30-day trial, but requires a Product Key for permanent activation. I have been told that the team at Microsoft that produced Product Keys for WE8S ICE no longer exists.

There is a link in the WE8S ICE application to obtain a Product Key, but it is broken:

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/downloads/download-windows-embedded-8-standard.aspx

The URL I used to download WE8S, including the Toolkit, is https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=37019. That link works for downloading, but at the bottom of the page, under Related Resources; the link for Obtain Product Keys is also broken:

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/downloads/default.mspx

Apparently, the entire section of the Microsoft website that used to support Windows Embedded no longer exists.

I have also been told that a permanent WE8S ICE Product Key might be available through a subscription to the Microsoft Developers Network (MSDN), however, no one here has a subscription to MSDN and the availability of a Product Key through that channel has not been confirmed.

I have a WE8S ePKEA Product Key which I obtained from Microsoft which works just fine to activate my runtime images, but it is NOT a Toolkit ICE Product Key.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Medro Tim

• Edited by Medro Tim Monday, May 13, 2019 8:59 PM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 8:58 PM

Answers

• Just to update...

I received a WE8S Toolkit Product Key from Microsoft last night after sending a detailed description of my problem to OEM Embedded Activation Help <OEAHelp@microsoft.com>.

A gentleman there was kind enough to use his MSDN Kit to obtain a Product Key and send it to me, so apparently it is true that even though the website link is broken, it is still possible to obtain a Key with an MSDN subscription.

Tim

• Marked as answer by Medro Tim Friday, May 17, 2019 8:45 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:07 PM

All replies

• A Microsoft distributor should be able to get you a key. Here is a list:

https://query.prod.cms.rt.microsoft.com/cms/api/am/binary/RWrp8H 

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Monday, May 13, 2019 11:47 PM
  • Thank you Sean,

I am working with both Arrow and Avnet, and neither one has been able to come up with a WE8S Toolkit (ICE) Product Key. The only Product Key available is for the runtime images, and that key WILL NOT acvtivate the Image Configuration Editor. No one at Microsoft seems to have an answer for this.

Tim

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 12:40 PM
  • WES8 was the last effort by the old Windows Embedded team before the OS and Embedded team merger. They did an OK job, but I wouldn't recommend using WES8. I would look to use Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry instead or just move up to Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC. 

Keep in mind WES8 goes EOL in a few years: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows%20Embedded%208%20Standard 

The distributors should be able to sell you a WES8 kit, which would have the key to unlock ICE. .

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:32 PM
  • Thanks again for quick reply.

I understand your recommendation about 8.1 Industry and Win 10 Enterprise LTSC. There are reasons why we are going with WE8S which I won't go into at this time.

I followed up with Advantech. They sell what I hope is a license for the WE8S Toolkit. Advantech describes it as Microsoft Windows Embedded 8 Standard 64bit LicSticker and it has a Microsoft part number of 7WT-00094-T. The WE8S Image Runtime Licenses are called Windows Embedded Standard 8 EMB ESD OEI Runtime and have a Microsoft part number of 7WT-00094-1P for the 1-pack and -10P for the 10-pack.

I hope the -T license is actually for the Toolkit and will include an activation Product Key for ICE.

Advantech is following up on this for me and they are going to let me know.

Tim

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 5:18 PM
  • Just to update...

I received a WE8S Toolkit Product Key from Microsoft last night after sending a detailed description of my problem to OEM Embedded Activation Help <OEAHelp@microsoft.com>.

A gentleman there was kind enough to use his MSDN Kit to obtain a Product Key and send it to me, so apparently it is true that even though the website link is broken, it is still possible to obtain a Key with an MSDN subscription.

Tim

• Marked as answer by Medro Tim Friday, May 17, 2019 8:45 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:07 PM