none
Design Time Moving Controls Lag

Question

• I have visual studio Professional 2015 (Update 3).

When I first load my program I can move the controls around the form and the program has no lag in doing so.  After I run the program, stop it and return to design mode I get significant lags each time I try to move a control.  Any ideas what could be causing this?

Derek Geldart

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 3:13 PM

Answers

• Instead of the running the repair for Visual Studio, I went to Tools, Import and Export and reset the general environment and it now works perfectly.  Thanks for the idea of rebuilding the settings.

Derek Geldart

• Marked as answer by DerekGel Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:32 PM
    • Edited by DerekGel Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:01 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Derek Geldart,

Just create a simple WinForm app(For example, just add a button), how  about the result?

1. If a simple app works  well, we would think about the project itself.

You could try to clear the .suo or the bin\debug file, and then re-open the project file, check it again. Or create a blank solution, and then add project files to this new blank solution.

1. If all WinForm apps have the same issue, we would think about the Environment.

• If you this issue happened just after you installed VS, please repair it refer to the steps below:

Start-> control panel -> programs and features -> choose change -> in the setup wizard choose repair

• Or if this issue just shows recently and it worked fine before, then it’s probably caused by third-party plug-ins. To run Visual Studio in the safe mode could help us to check it.

Run VS in safe mode steps:

Open command Prompt -> type devenv /SafeMode in command line and -> hit Enter button

• Besides, in some situations running as admin is required, you may try run Visual Studio as Administrator

Right click VS shortcut -> Run as administrator

Please give a try and share us your result.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 7:15 AM
  • 1.  I tried several of my programs to see if there was an issue with just this one.  I found that for other programs you could move the controls around in design mode without any lag as long as you did not run the program.  Once the program is run, stop execution and return to design mode, you can no longer move the controls around without visual studio saying it is "not responding" after each move of a control (lag of about 5 seconds per move of a control). 

2.  I ran the program in safe mode as you suggested to eliminate the possibility that a third party control could be causing the lag.  I got the same results as before.  Every time you move a control Visual studio would say it is not responding for about 5 seconds (while in design mode).

3.  These two results seems to indicate it could be an environment issue.  I did notice that a message popped up once when the lag was happening stating it was loading symbols for stdole.dll.  I removed the dll from the program but the same results.  Could the loading of symbols be slowing down the designing of forms?

Derek Geldart

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:14 PM
  • Hi Derek Geldart,

Have your tried to repair VS? It’s probably caused by the environment issue, which was unable to repro this in my side.

If the issue still exists after repairing Visual Studio, it’s also possible related to the RAM of your machine. You may open your task manager to check the current utilization of the CUP and Memory, when you’re running VS.

In order to avoid intermittent performance, we could also go to Tools > Options > Environment > General and apply the following settings:

In addition, you may try to clear cache of VS, by doing this you could delete the folders under AppDate(in order to find the AppDate folder, make sure the hidden items can be viewed).

C:\Users\<<Your Alias>>\AppData

>> Could the loading of symbols be slowing down the designing of forms?

Loading of symbols will happen during the debug mode, I don’t think it will slow down the design of forms.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Instead of the running the repair for Visual Studio, I went to Tools, Import and Export and reset the general environment and it now works perfectly.  Thanks for the idea of rebuilding the settings.

Derek Geldart

• Marked as answer by DerekGel Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:32 PM
    • Edited by DerekGel Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:01 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:31 PM