none
Access Web App for Sharepoint - Create a button to clear a cell in a record RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a web app that allows users to review entries to a form and 'approve' them. The list users select from is a view of a query for records with no data in an approval cell (query finds records where this cell value is null). Their approval (clicking a button) records their username in a cell and the entry is removed from the visible list. I want to make an action on the data sheet view that allows users to go back and remove the data in the approval cell without altering the rest of the data, effectively creating an 'un-approve' action. I'm having trouble figuring out the correct sequence to clear a specific selected cell in the data sheet. 

Would love to hear some thoughts on what I might do to create this option.

Thank you!

Thursday, June 2, 2016 11:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

>> I want to make an action on the data sheet view that allows users to go back and remove the data in the approval cell without altering the rest of the data, effectively creating an 'un-approve' action

Do you mean you want to set empty value for current selected record with a button in datasheet view? If so, I suggest you add a button in datasheet view with macro below.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 6, 2016 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

>> I want to make an action on the data sheet view that allows users to go back and remove the data in the approval cell without altering the rest of the data, effectively creating an 'un-approve' action

Do you mean you want to set empty value for current selected record with a button in datasheet view? If so, I suggest you add a button in datasheet view with macro below.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, June 6, 2016 3:01 AM
  • Edward, yes this is the action I would like to take, but when I try to do it I encounter two different errors.

The first is that the "Edit Record" action doesn't work, I get an error message so I've been experimenting with the "Undo Record" action instead which will remove the cell contents.

The second problem is when I try to execute the action, there is an error where the "command: SaveRecord is unavailable".

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Monday, June 6, 2016 3:30 PM
  • Hi Mark,

How did you try my above macro? I suggest you add a button in your DataSheet view, and in the On Click event of the button, add above code. I suggest you check the Control Name is correct or not. For EditRecord or SaveRecord, you could add by Add New Action.

If it did not work, it would be helpful if you could share us how you add your

Best Regards,

Edward

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 7:51 AM
  • Your command and mine are identical (I can't add picture unfortunately or this would be easier to explain) I am using for the "On Click" action on the datasheet view on either a self labeled button or the existing pencil icon (both fail), I have also tried the same format with the edit record, undo record and delete record command. AND I have tried to use a different view then the data sheet view (I built a view based on a query and attempted to make a button that let the user only edit the entire record to no avail).

The error message reads "The command or action isn't currently available: EditRecord." (Or SaveRecord or UndoRecord)

I have been able to make the cell clear on occasion using a undo record command, but then encounter the same error when the record goes to save.  

I am starting to believe the it is related to a deeper issue.

Another point I'd like to make is that in other views I have created an "Edit Record" button where I use the small circle icons and assign simply "Edit Record" as an action for the button. This works perfectly fine on one view of query but not on this one.  

Does anyone know of reasons this error may be occurring repeatedly in one part of the app but not another?

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 10:23 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I assume your issue is related with your query, it would be helpful if you could share us your query.

In addition, I suggest you create a datasheet view based on a simple query like “Select * from table1” to check whether this issue still exist.

For images, I think you could upload it to oneDrive, and then share us link here.

Best Regards,

Edward

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 5:05 AM