none
Using Search-Mailbox and message "119 activities not shown..." RRS feed

• Question

• While trying to do a Search-Mailbox it will search through the mailboxes looking for the message, it will display:

Completing ... 100% Completing the search task

Completing ... 100% Completing the search task5 activities not shown...

It will continue to increase, outputting the same messages, increasing the "...activities not shown..." message until it reaches "119 activities not shown". It will continue working, outputting the "Completing..." message, but it will then repeat the:

119 activities not shown...

Without increasing that number until it has finished search all mailboxes. Is there some limit or reason it does not increase over this amount?

Any assistants will be greatly appreciated.

• Moved by Manu Meng Friday, July 5, 2019 2:01 AM relocate
    Friday, June 28, 2019 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi James,

1.What's your current Exchange version, build number?

2.Could you provide the full command about search-mailbox that you executed?

With my research, search-mailbox cmdlet is used to search a mailbox and copy the results to a specified target mailbox, delete messages from the source mailbox, or both. I didn’t find the steps about returning percentage of the search task. Could you clarify more information that how do you run it on EMS? The screenshot is preferred. For more information about search-mailbox, you could refer to the link below:

Search-Mailbox

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/mailboxes/search-mailbox?view=exchange-ps

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, July 1, 2019 6:21 AM
  • The build version for our on premise Exchange Server "Version 15.0 (Build 1473.3)"

The code I am running:

$Count = 0; $Results_table = Foreach ($user in $Users) `
    {$Count =+1; $user = $user.trim(); Write-progress -Activity "Users Checked" `
    -PercentComplete ($Count/$Users.count*100) -Status "Processing $user.Recipient"; `’
    $Check_user = Get-Mailbox (Get-Recipient $user).name; `
    Search-Mailbox $Check_user –SearchQuery ` "(subject=`"$MessageSubject`")AND(from:`"$SenderEMail`")AND ` (Received:`"$Startdate..$Enddate`")" –DeleteContent -TargetMailbox $Mailbox `
    -TargetFolder $Folder -confirm:$false –force | Select Identity, Success,` TargetFolder, ResultItemsCount, ResultItemsSize } 

This code takes a list of users <$Users which is a list of email addresses of mailboxes that have received the email> and searches mailbox for emails. The "Completing ..." messages would be displayed while processing the "Search-Mailbox..." command shown. 

I basically setup the different symbols ($MessageSubject, $SenderEMail, $Startdate...), run the command. The $Results_table is where "Select" variables are written to.

If additional information is needed, please let me know.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 5:20 PM
  • Hi James,

Since the issue is related to the command/script, I suggest you post the issue on our Exchange Server Development forum, where you will get a professional support on the command/script.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 5, 2019 2:05 AM