none
View Database & its Tables! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have the Visual Studio Community 2013 installed, I am just wondering whether it is possible to view the Database or the table with data, which was created using LINQ to SQL anywhere in this software. Is there any visual designer or anything similar.

I am just learning to develop and was trying out some database operations, want to know whether my code is working the way it should. 

Thanks all

Thanks, Sumesh

• Moved by Jamles Hez Monday, March 16, 2015 1:53 AM
    Friday, March 13, 2015 1:03 AM

Answers

• Hello Sumesh,

You could use the express version: LINQ Insight Express, it is free. And by default, the VS itself does not provide such a function.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Sumesh,

Move to Linq to SQL forum for a better support. Thanks for your understanding.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, March 16, 2015 1:53 AM
  • Thanks James.

I was not aware there was a forum for Linq to SQL. 

Thanks, Sumesh

Monday, March 16, 2015 2:02 AM
  • Hello Sumesh,

>>I am just wondering whether it is possible to view the Database or the table with data, which was created using LINQ to SQL anywhere in this software

As far as I know, there is a component named SSDT which could enable us check the .mdf file with its table schema and data even without an exact database server, for details, you could check this link:

How to: Connect to a Database and Browse Existing Objects

Regards.

Monday, March 16, 2015 6:39 AM
  • You can try this:

Dim conn_string = myConnectionToDatatabase
    Dim db As New DataClasses2DataContext(conn_string)
    Dim query = db.ExecuteQuery(Of test_name)("SELECT name FROM sys.Tables order by name")
    Me.dataGridView1.DataSource = query.ToList

Class test_name
        Property name As String
    End Class

.Net Blog VFP Blog

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:31 AM
  • Thanks Fred Bao & Samir Ibrahim for the reply.

I am looking for something like, what the tool in this link does. And also it is not a .mdf, it is a .sdf file.

LINQ Insight

What I am trying to view the returned data before debugging the code and also see the SQL generated.

The tool does all I want, but it is expensive $149.95.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Sumesh

Monday, March 16, 2015 1:29 PM
  • Hello Sumesh,

You could use the express version: LINQ Insight Express, it is free. And by default, the VS itself does not provide such a function.

Regards.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Thanks Fred Bao. I saw that but, it doesn't provide any results for the query, only the standard edition does that which is priced at $149.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Sumesh

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 2:43 PM