none
No Search Results with German Keyboard RRS feed

• Question

• On English Language Windows XP SP2 with English WDS either 3.0 or 2.6.6, I find that some searches return no results with a German keyboard.  Like many companies, we use a single English-based SOE, and only change regional settings for international locations.  An example that consistently returns no results is "ipass", the name of our remote access dialer, though there other terms that also return no results.

Another symptom of this problem is that if the search is run when indexing of the drive has only just started, it appears that the search returns every item that has been indexed.  I'd guess that "no results" is probably what one gets when the number of matches exceeds some threshold.

Because of the large number of German users in our company, this particular bug is a show-stopper for deployment.  It leaves the impression that search results cannot be trusted because we can't be certain that it doesn't affect all languages, but with search terms we haven't discovered yet.

Monday, January 15, 2007 12:52 AM

All replies

• How were the indexed documents created? Were they created in English OS or OS in other language? This is affecting the LCID of the document and therefore affecting search results if you have mixed document LCID (between English and non-English).

I think, when you change the keyboard to German, WDS will search using German's LCID. However, if you documents to be searched were created in an English OS, these documents are marked as English LCID. Therefore, your searches do not produce any results. Try switching the keyboard to English and see if you can find results this way.

Thanks,

David Peng (MSFT)

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 10:52 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.  Sorry, but I have no idea what an "LCID" is.  Among the results that should be returned, but are not returned, are files with the search term in the file name.  Some of these are executables, for example, and therefore the content is not even indexed, just the metadata.

I think you should be able to replicate this issue easily by installing a German keyboard in addition to English, create an empty text file called "ipass.exe" (with keyboard set to German if you like), index, then search for "ipass".  You will find it with the English keyboard, but not if you set the keyboard to German.  Interestingly, if you search for "ipass.exe" with German, you will find it, but not if you search only for "ipass".

Also strange is that if there are only a small number of files to be indexed, but only 3 of them contain the string "ipass", English returns 3 results, but German returns a very large percentage of the indexed files.  It is only when the number of files indexed climbs above a certain point that no results are returned with a German keyboard.  I don't see how this can be explained as anything but a bug.

Jerry

Monday, January 29, 2007 11:49 AM