Getting wifi network info on windows phone 8.1

Question

• I am thinking of porting my android app to windows phone so what I wanna achieve is pretty simple at least on android.

1. Scan for available wifi networks arround
    2. Get Their BSSID, ESSID, and signal strength (Iam mostly interested for BSSID)

that's all! Is this possible by any means on windows phone app development?

Monday, January 26, 2015 4:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Thanos,

Yes, you can take a look at NetworkInformation class. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.networking.connectivity.networkinformation.aspx. It provides many methods to get network connection information. And here is a code sample. https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Network-Information-Sample-63aaa201.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any concerns.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:27 AM
  • Well I did a little bit of research, ran the samples too and it seems it's not possible to achieve what I want with the current API judging from another thread (can't post link yet) :/ that's a bummer. I was thinking of making a wifi analyzer or something similar

The accepted answer on the other thread was 

"You can get limited information on the Wifi network the device is currently connected to. Unfortunately there currently is no API that allows you to enumerate wifi networks nearby and capture their properties."

That's exactly what I wanted to do :/

Thursday, January 29, 2015 12:48 AM
  • Hi Thanos,

I know you want to do more about the wifi network, and maybe the NetworkInformation class is not you want. You can feature a request to UserVocie, you suggestions will be reviewed by the term.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 09, 2015 6:17 AM