Errors when connecting to Oracle Database from MS Access on a 64 bit OS RRS feed

• Question

• I am experiencing errors when attempting to connect to an Oracle database from MS ACCESS 2003 on a 64 bit machine.

The MS Access application is a 32 bit app.

I've made sure to utilize the ODBC Administrator in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe directory to accommodate for the 32 bit application.

When I attempt to use a file DSN or a System DSN to connect to the Oracle database using Microsoft ODBC for Oracle I get the following error: ORA-6413: Connection could not open.  The same error occurs if I use an Oracle ODBC driver.

These file DSN’s and system DSNs work fine from a 32 bit OS.  According to what I could find about the situation Oracle has a problem with the install directory of 32 bit applications on a 64 bit machine.

For example, MS OFFICE 2003 is installed in D:\Program Files (x86)

Oracle has a problem with the parenthesis in the pathname.

The suggested fixes was to create a directory much like the one that the installation is in and name it without the parenthesis such as D:\Program Filesx86. Then copy all of the files needed to run the application.  Since I was experiencing problems in MS Access 2003, I made a directory called  D:\Program Filesx86\MicrosoftOffice and copied the Office11 directory to it.  Ie: D:\Program Filesx86\Microsoft Office\Office11.

After doing this and then starting MS Access by double clicking the executable under the new directory everything now connects without problem.

I should tell you that we are stuck with an Oracle 8 database for at least another year so downloading Oracle 11.2 drivers is not feasible at this time.

I have two questions.

Has anyone discovered a better way to get around this bug?

If not, then I’ll need to start MS Access from this new directory.  Does anyone know how I change the default start directory for MS Access or any Windows Office product?  I checked the registry and could not find anything there.

Thanks much.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:35 PM

Answers

• Try installing the Oracle driver from Oracle.  I have never had any luck with the MS Oracle driver.  Make sure you select the correct version of Oracle you are trying to connect to like i9, i10, whatever the version is up to now - whatever version you are connecting to.

Rich P

• Proposed as answer by accessbob-pdx Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dummy yoyo Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:57 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:00 PM

All replies

• Try installing the Oracle driver from Oracle.  I have never had any luck with the MS Oracle driver.  Make sure you select the correct version of Oracle you are trying to connect to like i9, i10, whatever the version is up to now - whatever version you are connecting to.

Rich P

• Proposed as answer by accessbob-pdx Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dummy yoyo Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:57 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:00 PM

Rich P

I second that one.

Bob Larson, Access MVP 2008, 2009, 2011

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:26 PM
  • Hi Rich,

Welcome to the MSDN forum!

I temporarily marked the reply as answer and you can unmark it if it provides no help.

For questions about Access development, please feel free to start new threads in the forum.

For more issues about Oracle database, you may try to ask them in the Oracle official site. You may have a better luck there.

Thanks for your understanding and have a nice day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:59 AM