tunelling specific traffic to peers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to play games with friends located around the globe. If I create the game locally they need somehow to be passed all the traffic the game generates.
    If the game runs on port 9000 for example, I need to broadcast the traffic from the game to all peers, so they can see me as a local area network game.
    This is just an example, it might be an accounting application as well, unlimited possibilities.
    I'm not a network geek nor a p2p expert, but i just want you to tell me if the above scenario can be solved with your current implementation of the p2p framework or point me to some additional documentation on this subject.

Thanks,
    Cosmin
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 9:46 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the delay.

Could you clarify exactly what you are trying to do? Why are you trying to forward traffic? Is it for NAT traversal or something else?

Thanks,

Ravi

Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:21 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can use the existing implementation of the peer to peer framework for your need. The easiest thing to try out here is to take a broadcast chat sample we have, and convert that to sending game moves instead of chat messages. Do you want to write managed or unmanaged code?

Thanks,

Ravi

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:19 AM
  •  

Thanks Ravi, I'll start looking at the chat sample. Managed code, most probably.

Not sure if the chat sample demonstrates it, I dont have time right now to check it out, so if I ask something already in the sample sorry.

How do I bind to a port(already opened) that the game is broadcasting on and forward the traffic?

Thanks,

Cosmin

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:03 AM
  • Sorry for the delay.

Could you clarify exactly what you are trying to do? Why are you trying to forward traffic? Is it for NAT traversal or something else?

Thanks,

Ravi

Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:21 AM