none
Show sales per month RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Are trying to make a report showing the sales amount planned to be shipped out per month, having the salesprice for each Project in a textfield (text 24) trying to summarize all items that are have finishdate within the current month.

Is this, or someting similar possible to do in Project? Have spent some hours now unable to find a solution.

Kind regards //Anders

Monday, November 10, 2014 10:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Anders,

May I suggest a different approach to manage the data required for your report?

I would create a new cost resource with the Accrue At = End

Then you can build your project plan, assign your resources and finally build a custom report

When you build the custom report, Time (can be changed to display months) can be use for the Field List (Resources) and, if you need,a filter for a limited number of resources can be applied

Hope this helps

Paul

• Edited by PaulMarinescu Monday, November 10, 2014 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Monday, November 10, 2014 1:54 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 12:37 PM
  • Hi,

I assume these are numbers? If so you can apply same principle and use material resources instead

You will also need to display Peak Units

Paul

• Edited by PaulMarinescu Monday, November 10, 2014 2:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Monday, November 10, 2014 2:24 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I have created two new material resources. In your case, you will need to create a new cost resource (e.g. Stock) and your cost resources will look like:

then when the report is build you can use the stacked columns chart type

You will need to look into the resource filtering as one of the charts will display both resources and the other one will display only one

Paul

• Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Monday, November 10, 2014 3:14 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 2:39 PM
  • Happy to help

Baseline fields are also available and it can be easily added to the same or new reports

Paul

• Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:40 AM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 3:36 PM
  • Hi Anders,

What you would need to do is to Save a Baseline for your project

and then add the corresponding values to your report

Hope this helps

PS. I would suggest starting a new thread if you have additional questions as we are a little bit far from the original one

Paul

• Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:18 AM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:09 AM
  • Hi Anders,

Just make sure the Accrue At is set to End for both cost resources

Otherwise, the default value will be Prorated, meaning the cost will be spread on a daily basis instead of just when the task is completed

Paul

• Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Thursday, November 13, 2014 12:27 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Anders,

May I suggest a different approach to manage the data required for your report?

I would create a new cost resource with the Accrue At = End

Then you can build your project plan, assign your resources and finally build a custom report

When you build the custom report, Time (can be changed to display months) can be use for the Field List (Resources) and, if you need,a filter for a limited number of resources can be applied

Hope this helps

Paul

• Edited by PaulMarinescu Monday, November 10, 2014 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Monday, November 10, 2014 1:54 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 12:37 PM
  • Paul,

Are one allowed to write "awsome" in this forum? If so consider it done, if not, apologizes for use of improper language. Will try it right away to see if this is the way to handle.

Thanks in advance //Anders

Monday, November 10, 2014 12:43 PM
  • Paul, seems to work great! In which format should the sales price be entered, seems to be some kind of problem. Are entering 650000,00 in the cost field but get 6500,00 in the report. Have tried to change the Y axis, what did you enter to get £2500,00 ?

Kind regards //Anders

Monday, November 10, 2014 1:24 PM
  • I've entered "2500" (no . or ,) only. Have you tried entering 650000?

If you still get the discrepancy, check the formatting options for the Y axis.

Paul

Monday, November 10, 2014 1:45 PM
  • I just ran another test and if I select as Displaying Units = hundreds then I get the following

The data looks like this in my project plan

Paul

Monday, November 10, 2014 1:57 PM
  • Ok, need to look further at the settings, the cost column states the correct value but the chart does not. Will try to figure out.

Since you solved this in such a speedy manner you may also have the answer to a bit more tricky question.

What if Another "cost" is needed as for stock production values? Can this be done?

Kind regards //Anders

Monday, November 10, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

I assume these are numbers? If so you can apply same principle and use material resources instead

You will also need to display Peak Units

Paul

• Edited by PaulMarinescu Monday, November 10, 2014 2:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Monday, November 10, 2014 2:24 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Just read one more time your question and I saw you were referring to another Cost resource.

Same still applies, just use another Cost resource

Hope this helps

Paul

Monday, November 10, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Hi again!

Looks promising!! But do not have the slightest clue what you have done to get the chart? Did you create a material resource and kept the cost recsourse, or did you make two new material Resources, (sales and stock)?

Will be using both charts next to each other, this is nearly even better than expected, thanks a lot Paul!

//Anders

Monday, November 10, 2014 2:24 PM
  • Ok, have created another cost recsourse, What does peak units refer to?
    Monday, November 10, 2014 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I have created two new material resources. In your case, you will need to create a new cost resource (e.g. Stock) and your cost resources will look like:

then when the report is build you can use the stacked columns chart type

You will need to look into the resource filtering as one of the charts will display both resources and the other one will display only one

Paul

• Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Monday, November 10, 2014 3:14 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

No need to use Peak Units as you are using only Cost Resources. I thought initially the second chart contains separate data and the numbers you gave me were representing numbers.

Apologise for confusing you with Peak Units

Paul

Monday, November 10, 2014 2:50 PM
  • No worries Paul,

(Not a very well explained question by the way.)

Are now trying to get the filtering correct. hope to figure it out shortly. Did you create  a Group "cost" for the "cost" Resources to Group after?

//Anders

Monday, November 10, 2014 3:01 PM
  • Done! Became just perfect!

Thank you very much for your help Paul, really appreciated!

Kind regards //Anders

Monday, November 10, 2014 3:14 PM
  • For each one of the reports you will need to define a filter.

and then the conditions can be defined for each filter.

The screenshot below details the conditions to display both resources

for the other chart there will be only one condition in the filter (Name equals Sales)

Paul

Monday, November 10, 2014 3:22 PM
  • and the final report can look like this

Paul

Monday, November 10, 2014 3:24 PM
  • Alright, that just made it even more simple, thanks! So you are using Stock and Sales as task names and grouping from the, clever!

Kind regards //Anders

Monday, November 10, 2014 3:27 PM
  • The Stock and Sales are the cost resources (not the task names) used in that particular chart

Hope this helps

Paul

Monday, November 10, 2014 3:30 PM
  • As Beautiful as it can be! Well done!!

Thanks for excellent answers Paul, this will be a great visualization tool for our production planning. Next task will be to try to make the same charts but now showing the baseline values.

Kind regards //Anders

Monday, November 10, 2014 3:31 PM
  • Ok, but in the filter dialog box stock and sales are listed in the name column. Though that it referred to the task name.

Kind regards //Anders

Monday, November 10, 2014 3:34 PM
  • Happy to help

Baseline fields are also available and it can be easily added to the same or new reports

Paul

• Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:40 AM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 3:36 PM
  • Excellent Paul,

Will try to finalize the last things now without disturbing you.

Once again, thanks for all your help!

Kind regards //Anders

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:39 AM
  • Paul, have entered baselinevalues and finishdates but are unable to view the data in the chart. Have set the value to show the originalcost from the baseline but not amounts are shown?

Any ideas?

Kind regards //Anders

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 7:16 AM
  • Hi Anders,

What you would need to do is to Save a Baseline for your project

and then add the corresponding values to your report

Hope this helps

PS. I would suggest starting a new thread if you have additional questions as we are a little bit far from the original one

Paul

• Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:18 AM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:09 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot!

Will create a new thread for the next question, which has to do with the baseline dates.

Kind regards //Anders

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:20 AM
  • Hi Paul,

What can be the cause to that the list of sales resource works perfectly but the stock rescourse is completely incorrect, it shows values but on completely wrong dates, and completely incorrect and odd amounts.

Any ideas, have looked at your examples and for sales it works brilliant!

Kind regards //Anders

Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:21 AM
  • Hi Anders,

Just make sure the Accrue At is set to End for both cost resources

Otherwise, the default value will be Prorated, meaning the cost will be spread on a daily basis instead of just when the task is completed

Paul

• Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Thursday, November 13, 2014 12:27 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:36 AM
  • Paul, you were correct! Now with Accrue at set to end the stock shows correct values. Have now with your help, an excellent way of keeping track and planning where to put stock orders to level the production!

Thank you very much!

Kind regards //Anders

Thursday, November 13, 2014 12:26 PM