none
Bing MAP or Google MAP RRS feed

• Question

• Even though this is a Microsoft technologies forum, I wonder if Bing Map is as complete as Google Maps.

I particularly think it is not, by the fact that Google Map is on the market longer.

What's your opinion?

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:00 AM

Answers

• When it comes to developer API's, Bing Maps has the most powerful set of API's and services. In terms of data, it varies from country to country and on the type of data you are comparing, in some countries Bing maps is much better, in other Google is better. For the type of application you are looking to create, either platform would work.

I've actually created an app many years ago that is similar to what you are looking to do, which used Bing Maps and was built on top of Lync (Skype for business). It worked very well, but was developed as a demo more so than anything. I believe Skype does have a mapping feature now somewhere.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:04 PM

All replies

• Complete meaning what, exactly?  A complete API?  All the roads updated according to recent construction?  All the pizza places included when asking for businesses in an area?

Both were more than complete enough for our purposes.  It was more about licensing terms than anything else.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:11 PM
  • Complete meaning what, exactly?  A complete API?  All the roads updated according to recent construction?  All the pizza places included when asking for businesses in an area?

Both were more than complete enough for our purposes.  It was more about licensing terms than anything else.

I refer to the one that has a more robust and flexible API that allows to do more things.
    I'm planning a solution for tracing external employees. I will need to interact a lot with the map to, locate an employee, click on it and send an email, click on it and send an SMS, click on it to interact with an APP installed on your smartphone, all this through the map. Virtually all user interaction with the application will be through the map.
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 6:06 PM
  • When it comes to developer API's, Bing Maps has the most powerful set of API's and services. In terms of data, it varies from country to country and on the type of data you are comparing, in some countries Bing maps is much better, in other Google is better. For the type of application you are looking to create, either platform would work.

I've actually created an app many years ago that is similar to what you are looking to do, which used Bing Maps and was built on top of Lync (Skype for business). It worked very well, but was developed as a demo more so than anything. I believe Skype does have a mapping feature now somewhere.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:04 PM