none
technet website how do i now tel how many MAK activations i have left? RRS feed

• Question

• question - on the new technet website how do i tel how many MAK activations i have left?

on the old site it had a count int he forum of 4/5 menaing i had used 4 or 5, now nothing.

im not a fan of the new technet website.

its slower and harder to navagate to the items you want. somone has spent alot of time on this site im sure, but i dont like it.

Friday, April 25, 2008 12:26 PM

Answers

• From Subscriber Downloads and Product Keys FAQ (new content added):

Q: I used to be able to see how many activation were available and remaining for my keys. Now I do not. What happened?

A: Subscriptions Program product keys can be used to activate software a limited number of times. Historically this limit has been 10 activations per product key, but in response to customer feedback and the realization that subscribers often have legitimate needs to install and reinstall software more often, some products are now provided with an increased number of activations. Going forward we plan to continue to support this business need. With this change we expect that the likelihood of subscribers using up all activations will be much lower, and it we are no longer displaying this data. If a Subscriber does use up all activations and needs to request additional ones, they will need to contact Subscriber Support (click the Support tab above). Support will validate the request and will issue additional keys or activations if the request is approved.

Friday, April 25, 2008 11:35 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback Krisis. As noted above, with changes in the activation limits for many products, it is unlikely you would burn through activations like you have prevoiusly with most keys being only 10 activations.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:55 AM

All replies

• From Subscriber Downloads and Product Keys FAQ (new content added):

Q: I used to be able to see how many activation were available and remaining for my keys. Now I do not. What happened?

A: Subscriptions Program product keys can be used to activate software a limited number of times. Historically this limit has been 10 activations per product key, but in response to customer feedback and the realization that subscribers often have legitimate needs to install and reinstall software more often, some products are now provided with an increased number of activations. Going forward we plan to continue to support this business need. With this change we expect that the likelihood of subscribers using up all activations will be much lower, and it we are no longer displaying this data. If a Subscriber does use up all activations and needs to request additional ones, they will need to contact Subscriber Support (click the Support tab above). Support will validate the request and will issue additional keys or activations if the request is approved.

Friday, April 25, 2008 11:35 PM
  • This feature was very valuable.  I tend to wipe out systems over a period of time, due to evaluating many different software configurations.  I guess I'll just start having to evaluate software on virutal machines with drive changes locked.  It's too bad I won't be able to do realtime evals anymore.  It will be hard to show clients any speed benefits of Microsoft vs. Linux systems.  It might even be impossible, I haven't noticed anyway of using USB devices directly with Virtual PC.  It also will be harder to show them the invisible cost of free software when the MS systems will be running on virutal machines and the linux stuff will run on real machines.  Is there a way we can call to find out the remaining activations?  I don't like these new changes.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:51 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback Krisis. As noted above, with changes in the activation limits for many products, it is unlikely you would burn through activations like you have prevoiusly with most keys being only 10 activations.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:55 AM