Loading a driver using ActivateDeviceEx RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to load a driver (which worked for Windows CE 3.0) under Windows Mobile 5.0 using ActivateDeviceEx function. Apparently this function requires registry inputs in a specific format which I found nowhere documented.Can somebody help me with this: What I need is which registry subkeys are required and where I should put them.

Furthermore, is there a chance to see the registry of the smart device? Is there a finction similar to regedit in Windows Mobile 5.0?

Thanks in advance

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:02 AM

Answers

• AFAIK there are no changes. However due to security features of WM 5.0 your application and driver must be signed with privileged certificate. You should be able to sign them with SDK test certificate and install these certificates on to device so they would be trusted. You can find information about signing on MSDN. There’s also significant number of blogs about that, so please search.

You could use remote registry editor in VS 2005.

Monday, August 6, 2007 4:15 PM

All replies

• AFAIK there are no changes. However due to security features of WM 5.0 your application and driver must be signed with privileged certificate. You should be able to sign them with SDK test certificate and install these certificates on to device so they would be trusted. You can find information about signing on MSDN. There’s also significant number of blogs about that, so please search.

You could use remote registry editor in VS 2005.

Monday, August 6, 2007 4:15 PM
  • I checked the docs and signed application and driver with SDKSamplePrivDeveloper.pfx, I installed the SdkCerts.cab on the Device, and still it wouldn't load (error 1610). Then I tried some other driver Ircomm.dll which already is on the device, however the same error occured (1610). Does anyone have a clue what's going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 11:28 AM
  • You get the error ERROR_BAD_CONFIGURATION (=1610) when the device manager cannot find the appropriate entries in the key you supplied.

Would you mind posting the code fragment you use to load the driver? This may help to find the problem.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 11:21 AM
  • Thanks Michael, I managed to get the registry entries right. I use Windows Mobile 5.0 and it is suggested in the documentation, that the xxx_Init files following ActivateDeviceEx are not supported in Windows Mobile 5.0. Therefore I changed to RegisterService (was this the right decision). Still neither the device nor the service.exe would start xxx_Init, even though I strpped it of all code except for a message box.

Thanks for any further help.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 7:21 AM