none
Automation of Office 2007 from IIS7 on Windows Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am not sure if I am posting this to the correct place, but I have an unusual problem trying to get server automation of Microsoft Office 2007 working correctly from a Windows 2008 R2 box. Before anyone advises that we should not even be attempting such a thing, and that it is not supported by Microsoft: I know! Hopefully this is just a short-term requirement.

Basically we have three identical servers with Windows Server 2008 R2, Office 2007 Standard and IIS7 installed. Only one of them is not working as expected, even though the following steps have taken place on each to ensure that a web service hosted in IIS7 is able to start and process files in Microsoft Word:

1. Created a new Application Pool in IIS and assigned a domain account ('the user') as its execution identity [the same user is used on all servers].
    2. Assigned the web site containing the web service to the pool.
    3. Added the user to the local Distributed COM Users group.
    4. Created the directory C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Desktop.
    5. Logged into server as the user and opened Microsoft Word to clear any dialog boxes.

As I have said, this has worked on two of the three servers, but on the other I get the following error when the web service is executed:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {000209FF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} failed due to the following error: 80070005 Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)).

along with the following event in the Event Viewer => System:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
    {00024500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
     and APPID 
    Unavailable
     to the user XXXXXXX SID (S-X-X-XX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXX) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The latter message helpfully advises that settings may be modified in dcomcnfg but none of the IDs provided match up with existing components listed within this tool. I would expect to see 'Microsoft Word Document' or {00024500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} under Component Services => Computers => My Computer => DCOM Config in order to then set some permissions on those applications. Where are they? [Incidentally, I don't see these on my local Windows 7 development machine either.]

I have read that there is some messing around in the registry that could be done to overcome this issue, but I am wary of hacking away like this. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I could try to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Marc
    Monday, October 11, 2010 11:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Wolfy,

Did you ever get a resolution to this... just noticed we're getting the same issue here.

Cheers,

Jim

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Hi Jim,

No, sorry. Our infrastructure guys are still looking into this but if I get a solution I will post it here.

Marc

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:26 PM
  • HI

I´m having kind of the same problem, anyone any luck?

spc

Sunday, December 5, 2010 5:14 PM
  • hello, 

I'm facing the same problem on IIS7 and office 2007 

any solution?

Saturday, March 5, 2011 11:12 AM
  • Hi all,

I am also facing same problem with Microsoft office automation on Windows server 2008 R2 and IIS7.

Hope for any one having a solution.

Friday, July 8, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

Have any got the resolution for this? I also having same kind of problem.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:46 AM
  • Hi Marc,

We also have the same problem. Did you ever find out what causes the problem, or found a way arround?

Benno

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:22 AM