What is the Correct Build Configuration?

Question

• I'm building a store app in C# which references a C++ subproject. Before adding the C++ subproject I would just build as "Any CPU" and the package would run fine on Intel and ARM platforms. But now, it seems that the only combination which works is to build the C++ component as "Win32" and the app as "x86". So my questions are...

1. Is this combination the only combination that will work?

2. Will the same package run on an ARM?

3. If not, can I build this project such that the one package will run on both Intel and ARM processors?

• Edited by Sparksteam Friday, October 25, 2013 3:52 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 3:52 PM

Answers

• because C++ is unmanaged code you need to build that C++ code for each processor. IF you have the full C++ code you can nbuild it for ARM as well. when using that C++ pacakge in your C# project you also need to build your C# project for each processor. When you make an app pacakge you can choose for which platforms. You can select more then once, so probally you want to make 3 packages. All these three you need to upload.

Any CPU is only an option when using only managed code.

right click on your project and goto store => create app packge to see what i mean. For test purpose you can select to not upload your package to the windows store

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:07 PM

All replies

• because C++ is unmanaged code you need to build that C++ code for each processor. IF you have the full C++ code you can nbuild it for ARM as well. when using that C++ pacakge in your C# project you also need to build your C# project for each processor. When you make an app pacakge you can choose for which platforms. You can select more then once, so probally you want to make 3 packages. All these three you need to upload.

Any CPU is only an option when using only managed code.

right click on your project and goto store => create app packge to see what i mean. For test purpose you can select to not upload your package to the windows store

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:07 PM
  • That's what I was afraid of, Dave. Does the MS Store have the smarts to know which of the 3 packages to download and install, depending on the platform?
    Friday, October 25, 2013 4:26 PM
  • yes. end user wont see

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:58 PM