Web Develoyment Project - it is not working .... RRS feed

• Question

• User1014392865 posted

The WDP is a terrible, quick fix release.  It does not work.  An example is that you can not use it to build the assembly DLL by folder for the popular open source DotNetNuke.  I have reported this problem for a while but there is no fix.  The persistence error "aspnet_merge.exe exited with code 1 " continues to show and the response from the MS camp is the duplication of class name even the class name is defined in class files that have different name spaces.  What's a dump architecture. 

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:08 PM

All replies

• User390817712 posted

I'm not intimately familiar with DNN, but some 1.x applications are not going to migrate to the new 2.0 model easily. You might try using WAP instead.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 11:36 AM
  • User1014392865 posted

Open source DNN is distributed using the WSP model and it is based on .NET 2 for the most recent release DNN verion 4.3.4.  The WSP is great for developing new module.  Module is setup as folder within DNN WSP.  The problem is that developers can not distribute the module as DLL because there is no way to compile folders as unqiue DLL names using Web Deployment Project.

This would be a common task but the new VS 2005 does not support it.  Without a reliable way to compile module to unique DLL names, developers are forced to distribute the code as opensource. 

Now MS gets all these new big letter WSP, WAP, WDP out  and you get ton of logs from top MS technical managers to explain what they are.  The reality is these tools do not work toghether.  Developers will have to copy/cut/move code around and hope things will work. 

Sorry if I sound pessimistic but the reallity is that MS provides all these new tools but they do not work toghether and they do not support the full life cycle of the project. 

Friday, August 25, 2006 7:55 AM