Why can't Windows developer preview be uninstalled?

All replies

• You can dual boot Windows 7 and 8. Backup important data first, and you should not touch your restore partition if you have one.

Here is a guide:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/74335/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8/

You should not install Windows 8 Developer Preview on your main computer - it's not even a beta product yet and bugs are to be expected.

From the main download page:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Also, it is stated on the Windows Developer Preview download page that you must reinstall the previous OS if installing on the same partition:

Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview
    You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media.

Monday, October 3, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Yes. TrekDozer is right. This is pre-beta software and should not be installed on the main machine. You can definitely go for dual boot option with Windows 7 and Windows 8. I'll also suggest to use Boot From VHD option. This will keep the Windows 7 OS intact and if you delete Windows 8 VHD, nothing will harm the Windows 7. You can find more information at: Guide to Installing and Booting Windows 8 Developer Preview off a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk)  

Regards

Mayur Tendulkar | Zevenseas | Codezeven | http://www.mayurtendulkar.com
    Monday, October 3, 2011 8:50 AM
  • As you probably know, this is not a Windows update: it is a brand new release and its installation is not supported as a migration from an existing OS installation; furthermore, this is still a Developer Preview, a pre-Beta release that must not be installed in a production environment.
    I'm currently testing Windows 8 Developer Preview in VirtualBox virtual Machine and the performances are well enough; using a virtul machine allows you to perform test without the risk to create any possibly dangerous situations for you working environment.

If you're interested in using Windows 8 DP this way, read the article at the following web address

http://chromeosmarket.net/how-to-test-drive-windows-8-in-virtualbox-how-to-geek/

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Monday, October 3, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Would it not have been better to have the dev previews as ready built VM's for VirtualBox, Parallels, VMware etc that you could just download and unzip, might have saved a bit of heartache for those that didn't read all the disclaimers (admission: I didn't read them either but I knew I had separate Tablet machine just for the dev preview). Obviously the .ISO's with the full installation would still be required but maybe put them at the bottom of the downloads page.

anyhow, i'm going to fire up fusion on my mac and see what metro looks like on a bigger screen without touch facilities :)

Acer W500 tablet Ageing HP laptop Too much apple stuff
    Monday, October 3, 2011 9:52 PM