Help!!! updated my rom on my phone my app dosent work, (problems with sqlce not instaleld properly) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I upgraded my phones rom because it was quite unstable and I wanted my phone to be a bit more responsive for when I demo my app (in 2 weeks)
    anyway not my program hangs and after a few mins I get the following error.

TypeLoadException
    File or assembly name
    'System.Data.SqlServerCe,
    Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=3BE235DF1C8D2AD3',
    or one of its dependencies, was not
    found.

I first tried deploying my project which installed some sqlce files and i go tthis error then i manually went to folder copied over the files
    sqlce.ppc.wce5.armv4i.CAB
    sqlce.repl.ppc.wce5.armv4i.CAB
    sqlce.dev.ENU.ppc.wce5.armv4i.CAB
    to my device and installed them.

I had so much trouble in the past trying to get sqlce3 working on my phone that had 3.5 pre installed and now i seem to be having a similar problem getting 3.5 to work on a phone with somehting older installed. any ideas?  

after searching other threads I have found some information that says sqlce3.5 needs to be installed using .ntecf 2.0 as this rom has higher built in it wont work, so now my options are to load up another rom or is there anyway I can manuall install ? i.e. swap some files edit some registeries etc?
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:06 PM

Answers

• Did you install unofficial ROM? If so you can expect pretty much anything not to work.
    See if you can restore original ROM, in other case your device might be essentially bricked for your purposes.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:24 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:54 PM
  • The reason it's difficult to assist you with unoffical ROM images is because there source of your problem could be in either something you haven't installed/configured or something that wasn't installed/configured correctly within the unofficial ROM. If you have access to other Windows Mobile devices or the emulators I'd suggest deploying your program to those first.  If all works well in those environments then there could be something missing from the ROM image you have applied.

Joel Ivory Johnson
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:35 PM

All replies

• you need to install the .Net 3.5 compact framework.

Installing the 3.5 Framework to the Device

Look in c:\Program Files\Microsoft.Net\SDK\CompactFrameowork\v3.5\WindowsCE\, and you will find several CABs for .NET CF installations. You want to install the one named “NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab”. Copy this file to the device’s file system, and then open it using the device’s file explorer to install it. After installing it, run CGACUTIL.EXE again. It will report that you have the 3.5 framework installed.

Joel Ivory Johnson
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:14 AM
  • Hi 3.5 CF comes as part of the rom from what I can tell having this is actually the problem

see this thread posts 271 & 273

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=468178&page=28

what does sqlce actually install when it installs? I could get the dll files and replace them but what else is changed?

many thanks.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Did you install unofficial ROM? If so you can expect pretty much anything not to work.
    See if you can restore original ROM, in other case your device might be essentially bricked for your purposes.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:54 PM
  • its not an official ROM but much more stable and faster so the reason I wanted to use it for my demo, I have installed a working rom which has 3.5 pre installed but it is not as good as the rom in question, so I would still be interested if anyone knows of a workaround. I'm guessing my luck is up on this one though.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:15 PM
  • The reason it's difficult to assist you with unoffical ROM images is because there source of your problem could be in either something you haven't installed/configured or something that wasn't installed/configured correctly within the unofficial ROM. If you have access to other Windows Mobile devices or the emulators I'd suggest deploying your program to those first.  If all works well in those environments then there could be something missing from the ROM image you have applied.

Joel Ivory Johnson
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:35 PM
  • I understand and for now I will just have to make do with the official rom until one is released with sqlce3.5 pre insatlled. I think the main problem is that sqlce won't install under .netCF3.5 at least thats what I gathered from the forum above. As users with official roms who upgraded to cf3.5 incountered the same problem.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:41 AM